Lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by drkuba, Nov 17, 2006.

1. drkuba

drkuba TPF Noob!

Hi everyone. I am a N00b to this forum. However, I am a veteran in another forum ( the student doctor network) and so I know quite a bit about forum etiquette. So I have to apologize for starting this thread without searching the site extensively.

Here's my scenario:

I have had a Canon Powershot Pro1 for the past year as a casual camera, but I have decided to try to learn how to take great pictures. So I purchased the Rebel XT and have purchased the 50mm prime lens (f/1.8) and the 20-35mm zoom from Canon. What do you think of my purchases so far for a beginner and what else do you think I should invest in this early on. I realize I will need a longer zoom soon. By the way, how is the wide angle going to be on the smaller sensor at 20mm? ( the lens is still being shipped) Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

Really only you can determine what lenses you need. With a crop factor of 1.6 the 20mm setting will be more like 32mm on a film camera (not very wide). To figure out lenses on the XT. Multiply the focal length by 1.6. This will give you the field of coverage that lens has on the XT as compared to a 35mm.
    And don't discount the Pro1. It's not as much as the camera as is the handler. ;)

3. drkuba

drkuba TPF Noob!

Yea, I know it is. But I was frustrated that I couldnt manually focus easily when I wanted to have Bokeh in my picture, among other things. So 32mm on a regular film lens is not considered wide?

4. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

50mm is considered normal so it can be considered wide. Just not very wide. In a scenic outdoor photo you would probably want one wider. I have a 17-35 that on my film camera is great. On the digital I am always wanting wider.

Again it really deppends on what you want to take a shot of.

Manual focusing.

I know of at least 2 companies that makes a split focusing screen for the XT. Katzeye, and Haoda. Its not officially changeable by Canon but can be replaced! You may look into it.

5. drkuba

drkuba TPF Noob!

thanks for the help. :cheers: