Lenses

M-O-S

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I 4got what's it called lol, this uh, width of lenses? I mean, different types of lenses have their own different these widths, right? Like, their own maximum widths or something

untitledwn7.jpg

Thanks whoever helps!

Do you mean the field of view? As in the angle of the view that the lens can see?

Or do you possibly mean the width of the aperture? (the hole in the lens, though which light passes)

are you thinking the thread width like for putting filters on? short focal lengths?

Do you mean the field of view? As in the angle of the view that the lens can see?

Or do you possibly mean the width of the aperture? (the hole in the lens, though which light passes)

Yeah I believe that's it, field of view..maximum field of view...(i.e. width of a photo)....as in, providing more angle of view (In addition, more angle of view can be useful for panoramas too, right?)

So....therefore can I ask how do I know what is the field of view of its lense? I'm sorta having trouble with knowing the details of all kinds of lenses

Thanks you two

Yeah I believe that's it, field of view..maximum field of view...(i.e. width of a photo)....as in, providing more angle of view (In addition, more angle of view can be useful for panoramas too, right?)

So....therefore can I ask how do I know what is the field of view of its lense? I'm sorta having trouble with knowing the details of all kinds of lenses

Thanks you two

the smaller the focal length (#mm) the wider the lens will be. the higher the number, the more magnification the lens will have and the crop will be very tight... very useful for taking pictures of animals when getting close is either impossible (animals that run away) or dangerous (animals that kill).

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lens101/focallength/

Ya I would agree with you, I sure as hell wouldn't wanna get eaten by an animal or some myth, lol

Hmm....the link you provided me seems useful and easily understandable. I was hoping for the answer that I wanted - like when you're holding a lens and without zooming in, and gives you a big, wider picture and there's other lens (without zooming in) gives you a picture with different size (smaller) - without curved thing involved

I think I got it. It's probably focal length, yeah. Thank you, xfloddingkylex.

In addition, I also think I got it - if you have a small lens, then it's wider and if you have a long lens and then it's shorter......

Ya I would agree with you, I sure as hell wouldn't wanna get eaten by an animal or some myth, lol

Hmm....the link you provided me seems useful and easily understandable. I was hoping for the answer that I wanted - like when you're holding a lens and without zooming in, and gives you a big, wider picture and there's other lens (without zooming in) gives you a picture with different size (smaller) - without curved thing involved

I think I got it. It's probably focal length, yeah. Thank you, xfloddingkylex.

In addition, I also think I got it - if you have a small lens, then it's wider and if you have a long lens and then it's shorter......

it isn't so much the physical size of the lens though. Pentax makes a 40mm lens that comes off the body of the camera a little more than half an inch, but they also sell wide angles that stick out 3.3 inches

see these pictures.

http://www.adorama.com/PX1428AFD.html

The above is the wide angle, you will get much more close up in the picture because it is a 14mm lens, whereas the lens below is more telephoto

http://www.adorama.com/PX4028AFD.html

Sensor/film size also plays a role. A 50mm lens on a Canon 30D will have a different field of view than a 50mm lens on a medium format camera. Focal length is handy for comparing between lenses on the same kind of camera, but field of view is what I think you are really looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view

appreciate it, thanks mark and kyle!

Most reactions

Back