Lesson I learned the HARD way!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by EW1066, Oct 26, 2008.

1. EW1066

EW1066 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just spent 8 huors at Wings Over Houston Air show. I took a ton of pictures. Got home and looked with dismay at all of my nicely composed pictures ruined by grain. I had been shooting all day in Manual with Auto ISO on. I thought I had set the max ISO to 400.....not so. Looked at the exif data and many of my pictures were at 1600 :stun:.

I guess I'll know better from now on. No way that would have happened If I was shooting film. Live and learn. What I have learned is that, while shooting digital may make post processing easier, preperation and setting up the camera is critical and Never to be overlooked. Tough way to learn this lesson.

Share your lessons learned the hard way

Vince

2. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    ^^^ I've done that same one. Painful. NeatImage may save you though.

3. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    same thing happened to me about a year ago... i was at a concert of my all time favorite guitarist (andy mckee) and all the shots were grain-tacular... i was so sad... they look fine in like 800x600 but full res they look like poop

4. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Manual and autoISO? Even with my POS superzoom, I can't set auto ISO in anything other than AUTO and Program modes. Auto ISO is not an option in A, S, or M modes.

I'm surprised you can set autoISO in any of the manual modes with a dSLR.

And I'm very jealous over your visiting Wings over Houston. I've been trying to get to Wings over Pittsburgh for a few years now. It never seems to work out for me, even when the show is free admission.

I end up having to settle for the local RC airshow which is usually the week before.