Let Me Know!

PrecociousEmber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
denisehanson.com
029.jpg

i was getting help from a friend last night with taking pics... and he says he likes photos best when they're focused in the front and then get blurry slowly but are really blurry in the back. does this look good?

Well it certainly fulfills your friends wishes. But the front of the spring thing isn't really in focus. But good work on getting something you set out to capture!!

Your picture is a good example why depth of field is so important. Without the blur the photo would be much less interesting. There is no real point of focus which is bad. Something I've found is that it is better to focus as close up as possible and then position the camera or object where it is the sharpest focus possible. good luck.

We call this a shallow DOF (Depth of Field). It's a result of a few factors including focal length and aperture. You control it by changing your aperture (F-stop). The wider the opening (smaller F number)...the smaller the DOF. The smaller the aperture, (bigger F number) the bigger the DOF.

Your shallow DOF in the photo makes it more interesting, but I agree that overall it's still not all that interesting. I would actually like to see a little more of it in focus...maybe the whole first coil. Keep experimenting :)

Most reactions

Back