Let Me Sleep!

BrandonS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.topspeedphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was playing around with the camera and kept making noises so the wife's cat would open it's eyes. I think he was annoyed. I like the detail in the picture except for the blur in the hair above his eyes. Might be lacking DoF. Not sure.

DSC_1378.jpg

Details:

Handheld
300mm @ f/5.6 (I'm pretty sure I had the macro (1:2) switch thrown on as well)
Shutter 1/60
ISO 400

Nice I like it - though I agree a greater depth of field would be handy, I have found with my experiments with macro you either use a deep depth of field or a very very fine one (and then take 10 shots at different depths and stitch them all together)

To be honest though you have some great details in there - shame your model was not wanting to cooperate (you could tie a squeaky mouse to the camera hood perhapse?

The 'blur' is actually the cat's skin under the fur. It's more noticeable in cats with darker colored hair, but if you look close at them you'll see that they appear to have almost what appears to be a balding streak above their eyes that runs to the ear.

One of my cats was black, and when she turned her head the right way, she appeared to have a whitish blaze in that same spot. I'm not entirely sure why the hair is thinner there, but I always notice it in darker colored cats.

I'm fairly confident it's not your focus that was off, you just got a good angle on the head that made the streak show.

Most reactions

Back