480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm in the market for a code reader for my vehicles. Who has one, and what do you like/dislike about it?

Mine is an Innova 3100; pretty basic model. Reads all OBD I & II codes, but not most ABS or Auto Trans errors. It's like anything else; you can spend $2500 and get a Snap-On unit that will do everything including hum "The Star Spangled Banner", or you can spend <$50 and get a dongle and app which works through your smart 'phone. I'm happy with the one I've got; it meets my needs, and cost ~$100 on sale. It can be updated from the Innova website if I wanted as well.

I have an Actron PocketScan, about $40. It reads and clears codes and shows emissions stats.

There are a few programs around that run on a laptop (both Win & Mac are available) but you need the $50 USB-to-OBD2 cable.

I have an Actron CP9550 scanner - I bought it to diagnose a random CEL and to reset the warning light.... works perfectly every time...

I have been happy with a cheap $20 wireless adapter which allows the data to be sent over Bluetooth. Coupled with a $5 app called Torque (free version available as well), it can read all the codes as well as reset. This was on Android, but other Apps for iPhone exist as well. Adapters come from many companies I never heard of, found on NewEgg/Amazon etc.

I just go to the local auto parts store and have them pull the code for free. Then I just look up the code online which normally yields how to fix the issue.

Honestly my biggest pet peeve with car makers is that they don't have a simple digital screen that shows the cars faults. The check engine light is so vague and can come on for something minor which you can still drive without issue or it can come on for something catastrophic where you risk blowing up and engine.

Another pet peeve of mine... Even when you tell the dealer/garage what the code is and whT failed, you have to fight like heck to get them to accept it. They still want to charge you for their diagnostic fee to check the codes. They claim theirs is ' better'...

... They claim theirs is ' better'...
It usually is. Your code reader might simply say, "O2 sensor fault" Theirs will tell them, "Left side 02 sensor failed". Their readers also generally provide a lot more detailed information on ABS, auto-trans, and other sensor stuff not covered by OBD I/II. That said, the "diagnostic fee" is nothing more than a cash-grab. Yes, professional readers are pricey, but not that pricey!

Honestly my biggest pet peeve with car makers is that they don't have a simple digital screen that shows the cars faults. The check engine light is so vague and can come on for something minor which you can still drive without issue or it can come on for something catastrophic where you risk blowing up and engine.

They don't even need a screen. My car emails me when it's time for an oil change. No reason it can't send one with an error code report. Even if I weren't going to fix it myself I could tell the service department what the problem is so they can schedule accordingly instead of hitting them with the vague, "My Check Engine light is on. How much will this cost?"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back