Let's educate me about code readers

Honestly my biggest pet peeve with car makers is that they don't have a simple digital screen that shows the cars faults. The check engine light is so vague and can come on for something minor which you can still drive without issue or it can come on for something catastrophic where you risk blowing up and engine.

They don't even need a screen. My car emails me when it's time for an oil change. No reason it can't send one with an error code report. Even if I weren't going to fix it myself I could tell the service department what the problem is so they can schedule accordingly instead of hitting them with the vague, "My Check Engine light is on. How much will this cost?"
My toaster sends me post cards.

I am one of the people that use the Bluetooth adapter, and Torque app on my phone. I was in town one time with one of my vehicles a few years ago when it suddenly threw a check engine light at me. I pulled in to a VW/Audi dealer nearby and asked if they could simply check it to give me an idea what it was. They told me they couldn't do that, and that they needed to perform a "Full Diagnostic and Troubleshooting" to give me an accurate answer to the tune of $150 just for the diagnostic.

Honestly my biggest pet peeve with car makers is that they don't have a simple digital screen that shows the cars faults. The check engine light is so vague and can come on for something minor which you can still drive without issue or it can come on for something catastrophic where you risk blowing up and engine.

They don't even need a screen. My car emails me when it's time for an oil change. No reason it can't send one with an error code report. Even if I weren't going to fix it myself I could tell the service department what the problem is so they can schedule accordingly instead of hitting them with the vague, "My Check Engine light is on. How much will this cost?"
And my washer and dryer both play me songs.

If you're looking to spend $100+ just get Automatic

Reads codes and does more.

If you need to tune or edit parameters expect to pay $$$. Or look for a tuner meant for your car.

How detailed is "Automatic" at reading codes? Looks like the ads for it use the "loose gas cap" code for an example. Will it tell you the code for something more serious? Just wondering if it is more simplified and user-friendly for average users, and does not give detailed information for those who would want that kind of information.

This looks intriguing, Amazon.com BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light diagnostics - Android ONLY Automotive

Anyone have that one?

I might snag one, because I have already turned my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 into an offline GPS (using the HERE app) and a music library for my road trips (great idea if anyone is in the market for a GPS, costs about the same as a dedicated GPS with more functions, maps were free and I just download the states that I need for now - also has international maps).

Having the Bluetooth OBD reader could also be interesting for car diagnostics.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

only if I leave rocks in my pockets....

only if I leave rocks in my pockets....
Oh you have to check out the new LG washers. They play pretty music and you can dignose them over the phone.

I have an Actron CP9550 scanner - I bought it to diagnose a random CEL and to reset the warning light.... works perfectly every time...

Yeah I have the Actron as well. It does what it is supposed to do. Now that does not always mean what it is telling you is right. The vehicles computer does, and will lie. You still have to check out the part itself by testing it which can be a pain.
I had it where the computer kept saying that my number two, and three O2 sensors were faulty, and they were not. Also with some cars it gives you such deep information as random misfires, and I say to myself gee you think? The largest problem with all of it is the manufacturers and them not giving out all of the Codes for the consumer market. I just use my tool, as a starting point.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back