Let's start a debate!(just kidding)

asfixiate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok. I don't want to start a huge debate but here goes.

Why doesn't anyone offer advice here like "try it", or "what do you think about your pictures", don't worry about books yet etc.

I find that in photography you can pretty much teach yourself how to use the camera and at least get a lot of hands on experience in first without having a book tell you what to do. What's wrong with learning the camera manual than learning camera than look at books.

KEEP IN MIND. I currently research photography and read books etc. Only thing is I'd rather try to figure it out for myself than have someone tell me how to do it.

It also seems that people don't even take their camera's out of the box and ask questions that can usually be learned within the first 5 minutes using the camera

Is it being rude to ask questions like what do you think about your pictures?, or have you tried it yet?, when you try to do this what are your results etc.

That's going to be a mixed bag, I'm afraid. There are some here that are more than willing to answer questions and provide feedback to anyone, regardless of their level. There are others that would prefer you take the time to do a little research before diving in.

Personally, I believe doing a search of the site is a good start if you have a question, but I don't see what harm it does to ask for feedback on your photos. My personal opinion is that if you don't want to provide feedback or answer a question, you need to keep your mouth shut, because there are others here that are perfectly happy to do so. You're not serving any purpose by ripping into someone for asking a question or asking for feedback other than wasting space and making people less likely to interact in this forum.

By no means am I against asking for feedback. I'm just wondering why there's not a lot of what have you tried type of questions.

yr5xiwn4gkya.gif

lol

lmao well i ask for help and offer help.

at work people ask for help and i explain how i got answer

well.... asking for help is wrong because you can google search all the answers you need..... and offering help is wrong because you are encouraging people not to search their own answers...

once everyone gets this straight we can move on with having a productive forum where nobody is asking any questions and nobody is answering any questions....

(silence...... cricket cricket..... silence)

good point but not my views. some people should learn resources

I believe people should ask questions. I believe people should answer people's questions.

I also believe that we should help each other learn how to learn.

Guess I can't really word what I mean.

this is subjective.... everyone here has different ideas about what the entry level criteria for posting in this forum is...

the purpose of the beginners forum is to keep noobs from blithering in ALL of the other forums...

This forum has a description.... it's quite clear... We should all read it from time to time....

Stage 1: Group newb ask questions, Group Pro answer the questions.
Stage 2: New group newb ask same questions, Pro answer the questions and old newb now knows more and answer questions.
Stage 3: More newer newb ask same questions, Some pro stop answer the questions since they had been answer the same questions again and again. The new pro (used to be newb) answer the questions. The newb in stage 2 now answer some questions ... ... ... ...

Yes, I do agree searching is the way to go. But I do not see much problem for the same questions to be ask again in again. Just not the same questions within the same period of time.

Another example:
Forum 1:
1st year, a lot of Q and A going on. Forum full of joy.
Few years later, the number of new post drop a lot since most of the questions had been asked and nobody bother answer the same questions. A lot of searching going on. New users may lost interest going to this forum since it is not a forum anymore. It has a lot of information, maybe even more than Wikipedia .. but users go to a forum are looking for interaction. Otherwise, they will just go to library, or just google it.

My point is .... asking questions is fine. Just don't abuse it.

at the very least, one should crack open that manual and understand one's camera before asking questions. even take a few test shots at different modes.

what annoys me are questions asking, not what certain things mean or do (aperture, shutter, etc....), but questions like 'what does this letter on the dial mean?' 'how do i put my camera on aperture priority?' 'where's my flash?' lol... examples of question easily answered in the camera's manual.

and yes, i've come across some of these questions

I believe people should ask questions. I believe people should answer people's questions.
I also believe that we should help each other learn how to learn.
Guess I can't really word what I mean.

I must admit, it is disappointing to see the same questions asked over and over. But I'm not frustrated by it. To me it just means there's not much going on in the forum.

Being a newb to photography and being on the forum for a short time, it is hard for me to understand why people get frustrated at the same questions from people that want to learn. Sure, the questions like, 'whats this Av mean', yes, you need to read your manual. But that will more than likely lead to another question. And, we don't know the situation the person is going thru. They might give us some brief statement that summarizes what they did, but we really don't know what they know.

We get all types of people on here, and some may not be fully comfortable posting.

So, to make this short... when someone asks a boring or repeated question... instead of complaining, simply type, 'that question is pretty common, look 'here'. And post a link of the forum. Since we (I'll include myself on this) know how and what to search, we could do a quick search and post a helpful link to our new member.:D

Be happy people...

Hard to ask what I asked without people assuming i'm against people asking questions. I never mentioned newb, never mentioned not liking their questions etc.

What I said was why doesn't anyone ever ask each other what they think of their own photos. I've done this before and the user was actually able to tell me what they didn't like about their photo. From that the issues were answered and the user was happy.

Hard to ask what I asked without people assuming i'm against people asking questions. I never mentioned newb, never mentioned not liking their questions etc.

What I said was why doesn't anyone ever ask each other what they think of their own photos. I've done this before and the user was actually able to tell me what they didn't like about their photo. From that the issues were answered and the user was happy.

yes... i remember the thread.... and worked well.... in that case the noob suspected and indentified some problems with his pictures...

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking the poster what they think of their own pictures....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back