Let's Talk Filters

rangerrick9211

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Broad topic. Lots of options. So, what's you favorite? What does it accomplish? When do you use it? What else is out there? And any bit of info someone knew to the game would need to know regarding filters.

Thanks in advance. :hug::

Broad topic. Lots of options. So, what's you favorite? What does it accomplish? When do you use it? What else is out there? And any bit of info someone knew to the game would need to know regarding filters.

Thanks in advance. :hug::

Are you talking film, or digital. A few important differences there.

J.:mrgreen:

There's tons of info on this topic already via a search.

UV filters, Polarizing filters, ND filters. I don't think there's much need for any others on digital. Film is another story.

I use LEE soft grad ND filters for virtually all of my landscape work. Unless you're gonna stack exposures for all your shots, they're pretty invaluable. Plus, the dark half is big enough to act as a straight ND, so it's like two for one!

A 2 stop hard grad and a circular polariser are on my Christmas list. :D

I have a uv filter on on my lens but use a polarizer in the middle of the day when sun is at its peak and nd when doing water pics.

Since I don't have a lot of money to burn, I own a CP. Everything else I can pretty much duplicate it in Photoshop. You can't duplicate a CP in Photoshop though. ;)

I just got a Canon 500d close up lens. Its pretty cool works really well and since I wont be able to afford a macro lens any time soon I plan on using it a lot.

2821A002 Canon 52 Close-Up Lens 500D (for lenses 70mm TO 300mm)

I have a Quantary Circular Polaraizer as well that I have not got a chance to use yet, I am not sure if the quality is any good but I will probably end up getting a better one down the road (Someone gave it to me because they had a spare)

Quantaray Circular Polarizer Filter - RitzCamera.com (Can anyone give me some feedback on this? Do you recommend using it?)

Circular polarizer filter... Most of my pictures are outside in daylight and I use this one the most. Cuts glare, reflections, etc... and increases saturation.

An enhancement filter, a warming polarizer, and a graduated neutral density filter for digital on camera work. My most used software filter would be a sunshine filter which will duplicate a sunny look, even in the shade.

skieur

The filters I use, in order of frequency:

1. UV (on my lens at all times)
2. Polarizing
3. Neutral Density
4. Graduated Neutral Density

The filters I use, in order of frequency:

1. UV (on my lens at all times)
2. Polarizing
3. Neutral Density
4. Graduated Neutral Density
Many think #1 is a questionable practice and promotes a false sense of security because:
  • it can cause a decrease in image contrast because of the added air gap
  • lens flare from internal reflections is more likely with the added air gap
  • the thin shards from a broken UV can gouge your front objective glass at the time it shatters, or when unscrewing the broken UV from the front of the lens.
If you always use a lens cap when the lens is not in use, use the hood and good camera handeling technique when it is in use, contrast will be improved, lens flare will be minimized, the lens will have an impact buffer zone, and you won't have to worry about breaking a thin filter and having it damage the big kahuna, front lens objective glass, right behind it.

We had a brief discussion in another thread about how the filter makers and sellers had to come up with a reason for digital shooters to buy filters that were no longer a staple like they were in the days of film. The discussion centered on a fairly well known camera store, Abe's of Maine, selling a 3 filter kit (UV, PL, FL) they were graciously reducing the price on, from $149.95 to just $49.95, with a lens purchase.

Lens filters have a large $$$ markup and often camera store salesman get spiff (extra pay) for selling a $2 filter for $49.95 or more.

UV filters improved film images and were/are widely used by film photographers.

They can only improve digital images is a few limited situations, like at high altitudes (3000+ meters [10,000+ feet]) or when certain substances are caused by various light types to flouresce (wedding phoptographers sometimes see this with wedding dresses). They can, and do, degrade digital images to one extent or another, though the degragation cause by high quality (expensive) UV filters is more a technical consideration than one the human eye can perceive.

If you purchase UV filters, the filter makers and sellers will love you (cha-ching!).

The other thing about filters is: most filter effects can be duplicated with image editing software, with the exception of Polarized light and to a lesser extent, imaging flowing water so it has a smooth milky appearance, as is done with ND filters.

Most reactions

Back