LF and hiking, decision problem

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, usually I do not post gear questions, but with this one I am rather lost at the moment:

I am searching for a rather lightweight LF camera for mainly landscape work and the occasional architectural photograph.

Now I am torn apart between the typical (wooden) field cameras and the linhof-type metal cameras, which ought to be a bit more sturdy, but maybe not as flexible.

Or maybe a monorail? Often not as portable, but quite versatile.

To make it short, does anyone have any hiking experience with a large format camera? If so, what is your favourite and why?

First of all, are you thinking 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, or...

I don't have any personal experience with the hiking side of it, but if I were doing this, I'd look for a nice folding field camera. Assuming you're shooting 4x5, that should give you a package that's about 8x10x4 (w/o lens) which will fit nicely into a backpack. Might not have quite as many movements as some of the higher-end Linhoffs and similar, but really for landscape as long as you've got a front vertical axis adjustment, you're probably fine.

Thanks for the reply!

I know, format is also an issue in the decision process ;)
Since for me this is not for mass production of images (for that I do have my SLR), larger formats are not really a problem with regard to film cost and other efforts connected. However, I am a bit afraid, that 5x7 and beyond might be a bit bulky in my backpack wich is filled up with a tent, stove, food, extra clothing anyway ;)

On the other hand, I am keen on the larger formats for the potential detail the film can resolve ...

I usually restrict myself to nothing larger than a folding medium format camera when out for a stroll (aka hiking) but I have carried my old MPP S92 - which is similar to a Technika. If I had had a lighter camera that is what I would have carried. Nowadays if I wanted to carry an LF camera while walking I would take my Chamonix 4x5, which is a versatile, light camera with a good range of movements. They are also excellent value for money. For lenses I suggest reading Kerry Thalman's website - it has some good suggestions for compact, light lenses that perform well. He also has camera recommendations, but I think that he wrote them before the Chamonix came out.

Good luck,
Helen

I usually restrict myself to nothing larger than a folding medium format camera when out for a stroll (aka hiking) but I have carried my old MPP S92 - which is similar to a Technika. If I had had a lighter camera that is what I would have carried. Nowadays if I wanted to carry an LF camera while walking I would take my Chamonix 4x5, which is a versatile, light camera with a good range of movements. They are also excellent value for money. For lenses I suggest reading Kerry Thalman's website - it has some good suggestions for compact, light lenses that perform well. He also has camera recommendations, but I think that he wrote them before the Chamonix came out.

Good luck,
Helen

Is this yours ?
MPP S-92: Photo by Photographer Helen Bach - photo.net

Graflex with the 127mm Ektar is a good place to start. You can't get a lot of movement out of it but for the price it'd be a great place to start.

Just how far will you be hiking and what kink of detail are you looking to get? As Helen hinted medium format does pretty good and is much less bulky. A Mamiya 7 with a couple of lenses wouldn't take up much space and 120 film is much less of a bother than 4x5 and larger. Getting a good drum scan on negs you like isn't too costly either, all things considered, and will blow you away. Granted, getting the same on a 4x5 or larger will blow you away further but then we get back to the question of how much you want to carry and for how far.

Thanks to everyone who takes the effort to reply :)

Good luck,
Helen

Is this yours ?
MPP S-92: Photo by Photographer Helen Bach - photo.net

Yes, that's it with the 89 mm Wray Wide Angle Anastigmat. I also carried a 184 mm Wray Lustrar and a 12" Dallmeyer Dallon telephoto. An all-British kit.

How do you intend to print your LF images? One thing that levels the quality difference between the likes of the Mamiya 7 or the Plaubel Makina and 4x5 is the ability to scan at high resolution. There's a new Plustek 120 scanner in the works which could be quite good - maybe on a par with the Nikon 9000 or better. That's not all that easy to match with most 4x5 - capable scanners. Larger film is still better, but I don't see significant difference until I print over about 20 x 24, and that is with good scans of 4x5 (better than V-700 or V-750 scans) against Nikon 8000 or 9000 scans of MF.

Best,
Helen

OK, one by one now ;)

Graflex with the 127mm Ektar is a good place to start. You can't get a lot of movement out of it but for the price it'd be a great place to start.

Just how far will you be hiking and what kink of detail are you looking to get? As Helen hinted medium format does pretty good and is much less bulky. A Mamiya 7 with a couple of lenses wouldn't take up much space and 120 film is much less of a bother than 4x5 and larger. Getting a good drum scan on negs you like isn't too costly either, all things considered, and will blow you away. Granted, getting the same on a 4x5 or larger will blow you away further but then we get back to the question of how much you want to carry and for how far.

For some reason I do not feel well with the idea of using a Graflex, it seems to pose some limitations.

And as for MF, I did consider that some time ago, but to me it appears as a compromise. A good compromise maybe, but I prefer to have the option to scale down later.
Also this is not about having the most convenient format in terms of handling, but it is also about the process of taking the image, and LF just gives a different feeling here.

My hiking usually ranges from a couple of days to a couple of weeks away from civilisation (sometimes meaning no roads, no settlements, no huts, no food, no paths, no bridges) in sometimes cold or wet climate at the arctic circle, often in the mountains. Usually I take 3 up to 7kg of photographic equipment (35mm) with me. Some might consider this kind of expedition trip with an LF camera crazy, and maybe I will try it once and never again, but I at least want to try if it is feasible for myself. Would start with shorter trips first of course.

This is one of are top landscape photographers and he uses a Linhof Techno and other camers
About Joe |*Joe Cornish Gallery

I am interested in the Technica, yes. Thanks for the link!

As mentioned above, "a stroll" is not what I am going for ;)

Anyway, I looked into the Chamonix a bit already, being a bit sceptical with regard to build quality as I could never put my hand on one. But if you say you've got one and you seem to be happy with it ... and thanks for the Thalman website, seems there is some good info there!

Yes, that's it with the 89 mm Wray Wide Angle Anastigmat. I also carried a 184 mm Wray Lustrar and a 12" Dallmeyer Dallon telephoto. An all-British kit.

How do you intend to print your LF images? One thing that levels the quality difference between the likes of the Mamiya 7 or the Plaubel Makina and 4x5 is the ability to scan at high resolution. There's a new Plustek 120 scanner in the works which could be quite good - maybe on a par with the Nikon 9000 or better. That's not all that easy to match with most 4x5 - capable scanners. Larger film is still better, but I don't see significant difference until I print over about 20 x 24, and that is with good scans of 4x5 (better than V-700 or V-750 scans) against Nikon 8000 or 9000 scans of MF.

Best,
Helen

I am keen on trying it in a lab myself, at least for black and white. ...

But if we talk about printing from a digitial scan, there are some good labs around who would do that for me (and do it for me now). Also the scanning for larger prints I would do via a professional scanning service.

I have been using the Nikon ... and that whole series of scanners is really very good, I agree.

I helped someone carry a large format phase one camera out of the subway hike in Zion. It was heavy and by the end of the day he was toasted.
On another day did it with a guy who had a 4x5 film camera. He still had a HEAVY pack and managed to carry it himself, but the rest of the group had to carry his food, water, etc.

I have a 1950's vintage Linhof Color 4x5 with a short monorail...it squeezes down pretty small. Not a "lot" of movements, but ample for landscape work. It's a fairly common and well-made camera, and available pretty affordably. It fits in a backpack. It's light enough to pack, and actually it probably weighs less than a Technica or Graflex. I have a nice Linhof 120 rollfilm back for it as well. It's actually not too bad to carry in the hand, by the monorail, with the tripod of course strapped on your backpack (or better yet, carried by another person! lol).

Here is the Camerapedia entry for the Color...huh...I'll be darned--I happened to write much of the entry over two years ago...I had forgotten about having done that.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Linhof_Color_4x5

As mentioned above, "a stroll" is not what I am going for ;)

You do know that I'm Anglo-Irish, don't you? Scott's trip to the South Pole and (almost) back would classify as a fairly long walk. Anything less I'd call 'just a stroll'. Soloing the Lauper Route on the Eiger was 'a pleasant day on the hill'.

Most reactions

Back