LF Here I Come!

Alpha

Troll Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just picked up an old Calumet 4x5 for $57. Hell yeah! I think i just peed my pants a little.

It's one of these:

DSC_0075.jpg

I think i'm gonna disassemble it and spray paint it some extremely cool color with metal enamel. I put a thread up on APUG asking if that was a bad idea lol. But it looks easy enough.

congrats, where'd you get that? ebay?

yup :mrgreen:

Very nice....I'm not familiar with LFs so a stupid question.....where is the lens? and what kind/type?

Why paint it? Looks great from here.

That black board at the front of the camera holds the lens. You basically mount the lens at the shutter, and you have an element in front of and behind the shutter.

Lens mounted looks something like this (not my photo, so I had to just post the link):
http://gregrob.ca/4x5/view_camera.jpg

I haven't bought a lens yet. I wanted to hand-pick one instead of just shooting with whatever came with the camera. And since I only spent $57 on the camera, that gives me quite a bit of change to work with :)

Right...so the lens is mounted on a board that slides into the frame on the front?????

And you can change lenses on the board?

I haven't bought a lens yet. I wanted to hand-pick one instead of just shooting with whatever came with the camera. And since I only spent $57 on the camera, that gives me quite a bit of change to work with :)

Sound like a great deal......are the lenses expensive since they come with a shutter?

Well, the lens board is dependent on the shutter type. Or is the other way around? lol. In any event, lens boards come with different size openings in them, for different sized shutters (which I believe depend on the size of the lens). So you'll have shutters of different sizes #1, #2, #3, #4, etc. So you can buy, say, some Rodenstock lens in a Copal #2 shutter, then you just mount it in a #2 lens board (which has the hole of the appropriate size). You carry the lenses pre-mounted on the boards, and then just switch out lens/board when you wanna change focal lengths.

A lens in a board looks like this :
http://i12.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/98/43/bcd9_1.JPG

i've always wanted to try this type of photography, but never really had the resources for developing, or the money for supplies or anything. you'll have to post some pictures from it once you get it "up and running"

I don't develop negatives myself, only prints. I don't know how much 4x5 developing is at my local pro lab, but I guess I'll soon find out. Then again, everything of theirs is super cheap. They develop a roll of 120 for $2

I'm so excited because I've always wanted to get into 4x5. Whenever I look at LF prints, I can't help but be amazed at how detailed they are. It just blows me away. Now i get to be all pimp like that, too. :)

nice, how do you take pictures with one of these? is it the type where you put one frame of film in at a time?

by the way, i saw a gallery at the mall of america , this guy who's a landscape photographer, (dont remember his name now) uses 4X5 and 8X10 and his shots are absolutely stunning.

Most reactions

Back