Licensing fees for a national brand pet food packaging photography?

Mabou2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,
I just landed a sweet gig shooting the new label images for a national brand pet food (very well known name). I will be shooting 15 different product skews. The images will appear full height on large (up to 25-50 pound bags) of dog and cat foods. These will be on sale nationally in pet stores and supermarkets and have an estimated usage of 3 years.

Any idea what I should charge for licensing? Even just a rough estimate would be helpful,
Thanks a bunch,
Mabou2

I find it hard to believe that a well known national brand of anything would offer anybody a photography gig for images to put on all their products without first agreeing on a price.

I find it hard to believe that a well known national brand of anything would offer anybody a photography gig for images to put on all their products without first agreeing on a price.

I find it hard to believe they would hire a photographer that doesn't already have a grasp of the business processes involved. Unless maybe the photographer is the CEO's son, or something like that.

I can believe it.

Earlier this year, I was contacted by a very well known company (computers, phones, etc) regarding a photo I took of a Siberian Lynx. They didn't know me from Adam, and I'd certainly never been involved in anything remotely approaching that level of business, money-wise, but there they were...

Last edited:
I'd charge, $10,000 total.

But honestly, let's say they do use it for 3 years. Imagine how many bags they are going to use it on... imagine how much money they are going to make in 3 years... **** I think 10,000 would be kinda cheap to be honest. But I honestly never shot anything like this so I don't know much.

Last edited:
I can believe it.

Earlier this year, I was contacted by a very well known company (computers, phones, etc) regarding a photo I took of a Siberian Lynx. They didn't know me from Adam, and I'd certainly never been involved in anything remotely approaching that level of business, money-wise, but there they were...
The difference is I think, is that in your case, they found an existing image, the OP is indicating he's been commissioned to undertake the shoot. I can totally understand a company finding someone's image, and wanting it, and the amateur photographer who took it having no idea what to charge, but IMO, if you're in the league that gets hired to do a commercial shoot for a major brand label, I would expect that you've had some experience pricing your work. Seems odd to me, and FWIW, I would have no idea how to price out a job like that.

I can believe it.

The difference is I think, is that in your case, they found an existing image, the OP is indicating he's been commissioned to undertake the shoot. I can totally understand a company finding someone's image, and wanting it, and the amateur photographer who took it having no idea what to charge, but IMO, if you're in the league that gets hired to do a commercial shoot for a major brand label, I would expect that you've had some experience pricing your work. Seems odd to me, and FWIW, I would have no idea how to price out a job like that.

Ah, good point.

I'd like to know what led up to the offer of the gig...

No idea if it's legit. But assuming it is, you'd probably want some sort of complicated "some up front, some royalties" scheme, and I second the suggestion of seeing if you can find some sort of agent who knows these things and will work for comission, thus being motivated to get you the highest numbers.

A friend of mine does that kind of work. He gets between $3,000 and $10,000 per image, plus expenses, for one purpose in perpetuity. Additional purposes cost more. His agent helped him a lot with pricing while he was learning that side of the business.

Most reactions

Back