Licensing...need help please

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by NewbieJD, Jul 1, 2010.

1. NewbieJD

NewbieJD TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone, I am the newbie here..Although, I admit I have been a regular visiter to this site and LOVE it:D

I am located in Arizona and have taken photos for people for pay...small things, like family pics, engagment pics, etc...(mainly for friends of friends that have seen and liked my work) I also have a couple that wants to hire me to photograph their very small, intimate wedding. And yes, they are aware that I do not photograph weddings professionaly.

If I am accepting pay for the jobs I have done, is it required that I have my business license? I've made very little doing these jobs, but don't want any legal trouble.

Thanks for your help!

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If you're in Hotter Than Heck, then it must be the Phoenix area.

Anyway.

If you get caught flying under the radar, it will hurt financially. A lot. And you'll get nipped 2 ways:
    1. Penalties and fines from the city for not having a legal business.
    2. Penalties and fines from the state for not collecting and forwarding sales taxes to them.
    The state will take the biggest bite. OUCH!

To make your business legal, you will need to have business liability insurance.

Visit your City Clerk, either online or in person, to discover their requirements as they can vary somewhat from town to town. You can discover the state requirements online too.

More and more cities and states, because of budget shortfalls, are offering people a cut of the fines and penalties they ultimately collect as an incentive to drop a dime on unregistered/unlicensed businesses.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. NewbieJD

NewbieJD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Phoenix it most definitely is.

Thanks a lot for the great advice:thumbup: I'm starting the process as we speak.