voodoocat

))<>((
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.voodoocat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm shooting an artist and one of the portraits may be used in an album and if the artist got bigger they may use it in other printings. I have already quoted the price for the shoot and prints that they require immediately for a press pack. The producer and artist are very small at the moment and I work with the guy so I'm offered what I would charge for that package minus 20%.
What would be the best, in both of our interests, when it comes to licensing further use of my photographs? Now he says that he would like full control of the rights. What do you guys think? I don't believe the price I quoted would be worth full control...

Not that I have any experience with this, but I would say if you don't believe the price you quoted is worth full control, then tell him the price is gonna be higher if that's what he wants. Can't say much beyond that, but just don't sell yourself short.

What I do is sell the images outright to them. This way I can wash my hands of having to deal with them anymore in the future, but I am well compensated for the fact that I will never make another reprint off that image again.

Hope this helps.

I would approach a lawyer.

Only you can set the price, but here are some of the things I take into consideration when selling copyright to an image:

How valuable is the image to me?

How much money do I estimate I would make from the image over the years?

What purposes is the client going to use the image for?

Where is the market, and what is the average rate for a particular market?

I would usually be willing to sell the copyright of a client's portrait to the client for a lot less than if the image was one of my landscapes. Of course, I'm not at all interested in selling the copyrights to my personal work, so it would have to be an offer I couldn't refuse. With portraits, weddings, and commercial work I have less attachment to the images. If the client/market I'm dealing with is out of Los Angeles or New York, they are probably willing to pay more than if it's out of Wichita, KS.

What kind of artist? If he thinks your prices are too high, or they just can't afford them, then maybe you could work out a trade for some of their work. Then if they got famous your deal would grow in value.

ksmattfish said:
Then if they got famous your deal would grow in value.
Very important point to be considered when it comes to bands. :thumbup:
It is always good to think ahead while dealing with bands. If they get big and they already like your style, you will be getting recurring meaty works as well.

Thanks for all your input!

I figured out a price (deal for a friend) that will include the copyright with a clause that I can use the image in my own portfolio.

Most reactions

Back