Lies in the industry

Yemme

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There is in every industry but I'm not sure what would be one in the photography world. The only one I know of is with models who lie about their age and I only learned that from visiting a model forum. So what lies should beginners watch out for?

Inexpencive Highend dSLRs......I.E. BroadwayPhoto, Cameraaddict and the like. Too many noobies fall victom to them every day. Run a search on the Forum here and you can see for your self some of the discussions that have come about pertaining to places like that.

That good camera equipment makes a good photographer. Start low and once you get good, move up to something that works better with your skill level.

Beginners should watch out for the idea that Megapixels will make a better photo. Fact is lens quality and sensor size and quality are the determining factors.

Generally speaking the photo itself is a lie. It is not the truth because it is the photographers perception of the scene.

Love & Bass

I watch quite a few people on sites such as this one say "This image is straight out of the camera" when it's fairly obvious it's been processed to death with sharpening and saturation tweaks. Does that count?

It has been mentioned countless times on this forum that you MUST shoot RAW if you want to make adjustments. I can only shoot JPEG, so I guess the saying 'What I see is What I Get' is all that I can hope for with my camera, even though I seem to be doing just fine with making adjustments to my images.

It has been mentioned countless times on this forum that you MUST shoot RAW if you want to make adjustments. I can only shoot JPEG, so I guess the saying 'What I see is What I Get' is all that I can hope for with my camera, even though I seem to be doing just fine with making adjustments to my images.

I don't even shoot to JPEG, I have to convert first and I manage ;)

It has been mentioned countless times on this forum that you MUST shoot RAW if you want to make adjustments.

Haven't seen that mentioned once on this forum. Mind you countless times I've seen it mentioned that you get a higher quality output from RAW when you're editing. ;)

Things to look out for (marketing hype)

Image Stabilization, Vibration Reduction, etc - helps a little, but "three or four stops."

More megapixels does not capture a better picture - on the contrary, on P&S cameras you'd get a better picture out of a camera built three or four years ago than the ones being made now.

There is no better or worse in film or digital. They're just different.

Really... I was told you learn best from using film. You learn from the errors you make. No easy fix.

watch quite a few people on sites such as this one say "This image is straight out of the camera" when it's fairly obvious it's been processed to death with sharpening and saturation tweaks. Does that count?
Depends on how you define "straight out of the camera" and whether the camera is set to automatically make sharpness and saturation adjustments.

I've found that being able to see that I f*cked it up right away has really sped up the learning process for me. ;)

Most reactions

Back