Life after Pentax?

While it's not gonna do you any go when panning ... high FPS at a critical time is an incredible feature.

3FPS= waiting for the peak of action to release the shutter ... it is all about timing ... even then it will be hit and miss.

5FPS= You can follow focus, keeping the shutter release depressed and not missed a heartbeat of the action.

The problem with high FPS, Ms. Manic, is picking out the best shot.

Gary

I used to shoot some at track days at Barber, and have learned that little kids are even harder to shoot when hopped up on sugar and caffeine in an open field.

That said, I just learned (or rather used) for the first time that the 3D tracking autofocus on the D90 is an amazing thing!

If this feature had been available years ago when I'd hang out the track, I may have been luckier than getting 1 decent shot out of 1000.....

Seriously, set it to the 3D tracking and try it out again.......

Thank you both for your input, and yes, I know what it's like having to go through a whole load of pics taken in burst mode ...

That said, the K20D "flagship" is not much of a motorsports body. If you had $4,000 tied up in nice K-mount glass, it would probably be worth it, but you don't. I think it makes sense to consider something like a D200 or 40D. I'll be buying a D200 (have you ever held one? That sold it for me), but you can read all sorts of reviews to decide what works for you at your price point. Your real decision is Pentax or Other, and I think Other makes a lot of sense.

As another Pentax user I do agree that they do suffer slightly in the motorsports role due to slower than ideal 'motordrive' speed. That said the K20D does have a slightly insane, low rez ( 1.6mp), 21fps mode.

For what your doing you probably better off with another make, sadly. For most types of shooting the K20D is excellent choice, but yeah for motorsport it does lack slightly on the motordrive side so there are choices which make more sense.

the *ist is still an excellent camera though. Makes a lovely second body for Pentax users.

Most reactions

Back