Life Size Converter with EF Lenses

lennon33x

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I had the 50mm ƒ/2.5 Compact Macro and sold it a few months ago. Since then, I've shot two weddings and totally regretted selling it because of how sharp it was for the cost (since I don't use a ton of macro). I recently picked up one, and then I bought the Life Size Converter. I'm curious as to if anyone has used this with other lenses and how it worked. The reason I ask, is because I would almost rather have a Canon 50mm ƒ/1.4 instead of the Macro, if I can get good macro results with the 1.4 and the LSC.

The first line in the description on B&H, for the LSC...

The Canon Life-Size Converter EF is dedicated exclusively to the 50mm f2.5 Macro lens.

The first line in the description on B&H, for the LSC...

The Canon Life-Size Converter EF is dedicated exclusively to the 50mm f2.5 Macro lens.

It's possible. It was designed FOR the 50 macro, but can be used with other EF lenses.
See this thread and the Wasp Pictures

My point was to see if I can get away with a multi-faceted approach. A) Use a lens like the 50mm ƒ/1.4 or ƒ/1.8 with the LSC for sharp macro purposes and B) be able to use them by themselves

Yeah...conflicting information on this accessory. One retailer states: "
Compatible with most Canon EOS SLR cameras

"Equipped with an EF 50mm f/2.5 compact macro lens for use with your existing camera and lens. Converter will not function with others lenses.

0.26-1x magnification
Helps you capture life-size close-up shots of small objects, so you can create vividly detailed photos.

4 elements in 3 groups
For sharp shots."
But the thread above shows it uses with the Canon 200mm f/2.8 EF lens, so....

Honestly, what "I" would do is to use a 12mm extension tube and the 85/1.8 lens you already own as a way to get higher magnification. There's also the option of the very high-quality Canon 500D, two-element, achromatic close-up lens (AKA close-up filter, but that is a misnomer-this is actually a two-element LENS system, one which cancels CA, hence the term achromat or achromatic doublet).

The issue with a 50mm lens is that is has inherently low magnification, due to low focal length; a longer lens length gives higher magnification. A 50mm lens art life-size has the subject about three inches from the front of the lens, which is a PITA in multiple ways.

On a fine,fine quality 200mm prime lens, I would ***definitely** consider either an extension tube OR the Canon 500D, which is a brilliant piece of close-up kit. heck...perhaps the extension tube and the 500D could even be combined!

I had an acquaintance a decade ago who frequently shot photos for several horticultural/gardening magazines and he LOVED the Canon 50/2.5 compact macro, both with and without the converter. He loved both.

Yes, adding an extension tube to any lens, is an easy (and often cheaper) way to get the ability to focus close enough for macro.
This is the most often recommended kit. Kenko

You could also try reversing one lens onto another. They make 'reversing rings' to help with this.

Another option might be the EF-S 60mm Macro lens. It's not the least expensive option, but it's too expensive either. I've heard good things about this lens, one being that it's fairly small...so it's easy to always have it tucked away in your camera bag for when you need a macro.
But as Derrel mentioned, you typically want longer lenses when shooting macro....it gives you more working distance between the camera and subject.

So I got the LSC and the 50mm in. Here is what I can say about it.
1) Works well with the 50 and helps to produce just as sharp of quality images
2) It increases the working distance of the object, so you don't have to be mere centimeters away from the subject
3) It does work with other lenses. Period. Now, it doesn't produce the same macro effect, but it does produce "a" macro effect, but none like you would desire. It basically zooms you in a touch. My problem with the 200mm is that the camera shake is near impossible, so tripods are a must.
4) It didn't do what I wanted it to with the other lenses, as I would have hoped. My goal was to pop it on, hope it works like an extension tube, but better, so that I can get the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4. However, seeing as it doesn't work quite like that, it's best teamed with a macro lens.

Definitely something cool to keep in my bag, seeing as it was $100.

The 'life size converter' a teleconverter (or TC / extension tube combination) that's been optimized for close up work.
As far as I can see there's no reason it can't be used with practically any EF lens, but results won't be quite as good as with the lens it's designed for. Very short focal length lenses such as fish eyes may not be able to focus at any distance through it, and a few lenses might project enough at the back to foul on the optics.
In other mounts there are 'macro focusing teleconverters' which are TCs with an helicoidal extension built in. These are usually designed to work with a standard 50mm prime (and get 1:1 or better when fully extended). They certainly work with a wide range of other lenses

Most reactions

New Topics

Back