light bodys bot so light lenses...

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Whats a body like a Canon XT like with a heavy lens like the EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM Zoom on a tripod? or even just holding it? I've help the XT with a kit lens but to me it seems like it would be a little front heavey with a better lens. WHats it feel like with the EF 17-40mm F/4.0L lens as well? Im trying to decide between the XT/XTI or a seconf hand 20D.

I'm sure it will feel a little off balance. I have a D70s and I use it with my 70-200VR 2.8 lens and it feels way off balance. That huge lens on that small body is sometimes too much. But really what are you gonna do? you have to work with what you got.

yea very true. The 30D with a EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM feels like a dream and shoots like one to so I was planning on maybe waiting a little longer and saving up for that.

Well I think my next body is gonna be a D200 with the grip so hopefully it will balance better with my lens.

It can feel off balance to have a big heavy lens on a small camera. You could add a battery grip to the small body or get a bigger body.

Also, when using larger lenses...you really need to change the way you hold & use the camera & lens. You need to support the lens more than the camera. Large lenses are often mounted to the tripod rather than the camera.

But will I need to use a lens collar more often with a lighter body then with a heavy body?

If your lens has a tripod mount thats what you should use.

Well I think my next body is gonna be a D200 with the grip so hopefully it will balance better with my lens.

At the very least it'll build some muscles :) Battery grips are a god send for people like me with big hands. Even the mostorous size of the D200 was still uncomfortable without the battery grip.

But will I need to use a lens collar more often with a lighter body then with a heavy body?

both lenses you mention are not heavy lenses. Actually one reason for me to buy them that they are rather light-weight for their performance. You can get heavier lenses below 105mm.

Also, when tripod mounting the camera, then the weight of the camera plays a minor role and the imbalance is almose exclusively generated by the lens. this holds even for much heavier bodies.

Just make sure that your lens mount is rigid enough ... but it should be on all cameras you mentioned (hopefully).

Most reactions

Back