light bodys bot so light lenses...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by StreetShark, Jun 10, 2007.

1. StreetShark

StreetShark TPF Noob!

Whats a body like a Canon XT like with a heavy lens like the EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM Zoom on a tripod? or even just holding it? I've help the XT with a kit lens but to me it seems like it would be a little front heavey with a better lens. WHats it feel like with the EF 17-40mm F/4.0L lens as well? Im trying to decide between the XT/XTI or a seconf hand 20D.

2. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I'm sure it will feel a little off balance. I have a D70s and I use it with my 70-200VR 2.8 lens and it feels way off balance. That huge lens on that small body is sometimes too much. But really what are you gonna do? you have to work with what you got.

3. StreetShark

StreetShark TPF Noob!

yea very true. The 30D with a EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM feels like a dream and shoots like one to so I was planning on maybe waiting a little longer and saving up for that.

4. JIP

Well I think my next body is gonna be a D200 with the grip so hopefully it will balance better with my lens.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It can feel off balance to have a big heavy lens on a small camera. You could add a battery grip to the small body or get a bigger body.

Also, when using larger lenses...you really need to change the way you hold & use the camera & lens. You need to support the lens more than the camera. Large lenses are often mounted to the tripod rather than the camera.

6. Groupcaptainbonzo

Groupcaptainbonzo TPF Noob!

Hold the whole thing at the point of balance. The lens should be supported by the left hand anyway. Use a lens collar when using a tripod.

7. StreetShark

StreetShark TPF Noob!

But will I need to use a lens collar more often with a lighter body then with a heavy body?

8. JIP

If your lens has a tripod mount thats what you should use.

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At the very least it'll build some muscles :) Battery grips are a god send for people like me with big hands. Even the mostorous size of the D200 was still uncomfortable without the battery grip.

10. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    both lenses you mention are not heavy lenses. Actually one reason for me to buy them that they are rather light-weight for their performance. You can get heavier lenses below 105mm.

Also, when tripod mounting the camera, then the weight of the camera plays a minor role and the imbalance is almose exclusively generated by the lens. this holds even for much heavier bodies.

Just make sure that your lens mount is rigid enough ... but it should be on all cameras you mentioned (hopefully).