Light Meter Question

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by rp1600, Sep 26, 2006.

1. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking to buy a light meter to use both for outdoor shooting and with a two light studio setup. The setup is not elaborate as I'm just starting out using strobes. But I'd like a meter that's affordable and something that wil get the job done. I'm shooting primarily with a Canon F-1 and Digial Rebel secondary.

Any advice and/or input is appreciated.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You will need a flash meter for the studio set up (if they are strobes). Most flash meters will also act as a regular light meter.

I recently bought my first light/flash meter on E-bay...a Vivtar 230 LX
    it's a bit old but the price was pretty good. Typically, modern flash meters are not very cheap...but you can occasionally find a good deal on a used one.

Minolta and Sekonic make several models and seem to be the leaders in this field.

3. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

If you go with either of the big 2, Sekonic or Gossen, you'll get a great product. This is an item that I would maybe look at used. Even a Minolta Auto Meter IV would be a good choice.
    Shutterbug just had a review of JTL's LM-8. Might be something to look at also.

4. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks guys. so mike, the vivtar you bought .. does it work as a regular light meter as well?

5. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I haven't touched my meters in years... but I did pull out the ol' gray cards. I find reading the histogram more benificail in my work.

Pete

6. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot film primarily therefore no histogram, but I have read quiet a bit where using an 18% gray and my camera's meter will yield similar results as that of an incident meter.

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes it does.

I got my meter two weeks ago and last week I got a studio strobe. I quickly realized that I can very easily use the histogram to find a good exposure when using the strobe. The meter should still come in hand when I try to figure out lighting ratios...I think :scratch: