Light meter recommendations?

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking of picking up a light meter, specifically for off camera flash. I do want one that measures percentage of flash vs. ambient, but other than that, I'm open to suggestions. Up till now, I've winged it with exposure and adjusted via image review, but I'd like to get a bit more planful, and I think a light meter would be a good start.

Any recommendations?

Sekonic L478. I use a L358 but that's discontinued

At last count I had a Sekonic 758, Minolta Flash V and a Luna Pro F. Of all of them, I actually like the Minolta best. Buy a used one, you save a LOT of $$, and if it's an older model, make sure it uses a "normal" battery (current button cell, 'AA' or similar, not some old mercury cell).

insane prices on a $20 device. wait till YoungNuo finds out about this...

Definitely consider a second hand or used light meter. I saw a Minolta flash meter IV F last week at pro photo supply for $95 used they had a couple others at 125 used. Online there are some very good videos from the Sekonic company, showing the benefits of their percentage of ambient to flash readout system. I get why you might want that. That would be nice. My ancient Minolta makes me do all the math in my head

I have a Sekonic L-508. Had it at least 15 years now. They are pricier but they work. If you could find a used one I would jump on it. I looked at the new Sekonic's a couple weeks ago. Let's just I'm glad I don't have to replace mine right now.

Keh has a good selection of them right now! Many models of different manufacturers.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems Sekonic is the most recommended brand. I was looking at them already, along with a couple others. I hadn't thought about buying used, so thanks for that idea! It looks like there are a few used Minolta's for sale, at about half the price of the Sekonics, that I'll have to look into.

I take it back! My friend just showed me the his Lumu light meter. I need one now

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I am gonna' do a post on the light meter I bought last weekend!!!! Sekonic? Minolta? Gossen? Hells no--General Electric, circa 1950! Almost the same model I bought as a boy, back in 1975! And the thing is actually in working order! A selenium meter that still lives!

I am gonna' do a post on the light meter I bought last weekend!!!! Sekonic? Minolta? Gossen? Hells no--General Electric, circa 1950! Almost the same model I bought as a boy, back in 1975! And the thing is actually in working order! A selenium meter that still lives!
Yeah, well you just cursed it by talking about it.
9e2cf3daf2844f2b551ad9fb68965baa.jpg

Sekonic 508/558/758 models are pretty much bomb-proof, though the 558 seems to hit the price/features sweet spot. I'm not a huge fan of the now-old Minolta meters. Bought two and both crapped out quick due to bum circuit boards. Bad luck or age-related decay? Never had a nano-second of grief from the 3 Sekonic products I use.

Sekonic 508/558/758 models are pretty much bomb-proof, though the 558 seems to hit the price/features sweet spot. I'm not a huge fan of the now-old Minolta meters. Bought two and both crapped out quick due to bum circuit boards. Bad luck or age-related decay? Never had a nano-second of grief from the 3 Sekonic products I use.
Good to know, thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back