light meter

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by novaz, Jun 15, 2010.

1. novaz

novaz TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am interested in purchasing a light meter mostly for outdoor photography
    and would appreciate any recommendations and experiences.
    Thanks

2. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Sekonic 358. It is without a doubt one of the best. I've found it to be very easy to use. I bought it a month or so ago and it has helped out tremendously. It's a little pricey at around $250 but as many other things in life and especially photography, you get what you pay for.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    Any of the modern Sekonics are good - if budget is a consideration you can check out eBay and usually find a good deal on an older, analogue Gossen (Luna Six, Luna Pro, Pro F), just make sure it's a model which uses 9v or AA battery. Some use obsolete button cells. As well, Polaris makes a digital meter which is reasonably priced, but the plastic seems cheap and brittle.

4. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Outdoor with strobes? If yes, you want a meter that will read both ambient and strobe light. Depending on the level of your photography, it could be wise to invest right away in a very good one. Despite its price I picked the Sekonic L-758DR which has some great features for a professional studio.

At this point I can't tell you much about it as my assistants and I are still learning to use it :lol: but it does seem to work very nicely, so far.

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Digital SLR cameras have a built-in reflected light meter. Most can be configured in 3 different modes.

Hand-held meters can also measure reflected light which is somewhat redundant but they can also measure incident light and strobed light.

A nice entry level meter that can measure all 3: incident, reflected, and strobed is Sekonics L-308S. the 308s is limited in that it can only trigger strobed lights with a PC cord. Sekonic | L-308S Flashmate Light Meter | 401-309 | B&H Photo

The Sekonic L-358 has an accessory that can remotely trigger strobed lights that are set up with Pocket Wizard radio transceivers. Sekonic | L-358 Flash Master Meter - Silver | 401-358 | B&H

I'm with c.cloudwalker that if you truely need a meter the L-758DR is tough to beat since it can be calibrated to your camera's image sensor.
    Sekonic | L-758DR DigitalMaster Flash Meter | 401-758 | B&H