ArtphotoasiA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.corradoprever.photos
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys....

I actually have a doubt quite important... and I got different answers.

As you all have more experience with digital photography than I do, I wonder which is better between 2 ways in case of a difficult light in photography.

1) Try to underexpose a little the photo so that all the highlights in the picture are safe and not burned.... but the shadows will be too black.

2) Try to overexpose a little so that the shadows will be transparent but the highlights will be white.

I read someone saying that case 2 is a better way to reduce the noise particularly in the shadows... so must pursuit....

I read someone saying that case 1 is better because the highlight once is gone are gone and can not recover the details inside...

:twoface:

What you think?

Take 2 or 3 shots and create an HDR because it sounds like it's necessary.
TJ

Underexpose a bit (not too much, 1 stop) to preserve detail in both the shadows and the highlights. Once the tones are clipped to white they are lost forever.

Common sense would tell me to just underexpose very slightly as to not blow out any highlights and lose them forever. It is impossible to recover blown out highlights, but you can always brighten up underexposed highlights in post processing

Thank you guys actually is the first time that I find out a book that stated to overexpose a pictures in order to have less noise in the shadow... sound strange and far a minor problem that a byrned shy.

Most of the data is in the right side of the histogram, so I tend to overexpose by 1/3 to 1/2 stop. I tend to have better results (for ME) by bringing the exposure down a touch in Lightroom rather than bringing up the exposure. Bringing up the shadows in post, you are increasing the digital noise. I don't particularly look at the histogram, but I do keep an eye on the "blinkys" on the highlight image and adjust accordingly. If you've clipped one or more of the channels, they will blink.

Most of the data is in the right side of the histogram, so I tend to overexpose by 1/3 to 1/2 stop. I tend to have better results (for ME) by bringing the exposure down a touch in Lightroom rather than bringing up the exposure. Bringing up the shadows in post, you are increasing the digital noise. I don't particularly look at the histogram, but I do keep an eye on the "blinkys" on the highlight image and adjust accordingly. If you've clipped one or more of the channels, they will blink.

This is actualy what the book says... and I guess is very real for shadows but i wonder if is possible later to really recover the hightlights from burned... ??? how you will do that ???

What I try to do is expose somewhere between the two. I meter bith sides and try to split the difference. I also use my spot metering and try to get it to meter on the terminator of light and shadow. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

What I try to do is expose somewhere between the two. I meter bith sides and try to split the difference. I also use my spot metering and try to get it to meter on the terminator of light and shadow. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

Sure thing... also braketing can help a lot. :D

My question is realted to hard cases :confused:

#1 shoot raw

#2 you can recover some blown highlights... maybe about a stop or so

#3 you can recover more shadows... 2-3 stops maybe i can't remember exactly

#4 decide which are more important to you and expose accordingly, since just underexposing so you can bring back shadows isn't the end all, since when u bring it up it's gonna introduce a ton of noise

#4 decide which are more important to you and expose accordingly, since just underexposing so you can bring back shadows isn't the end all, since when u bring it up it's gonna introduce a ton of noise

This is quite important .... need to consider if I decide to make it dark will bring noise up .... thanks guys

As mentioned previously you can recover blown highlights. Just a little if you shot jpeg quite a bit more if you shot raw.
If you expose dark to not blow out the whites then you will increase noise A LOT when you go back to increase the exposure. Much better to blow it out just a bit and then recover the whites.

As mentioned previously you can recover blown highlights. Just a little if you shot jpeg quite a bit more if you shot raw.
If you expose dark to not blow out the whites then you will increase noise A LOT when you go back to increase the exposure. Much better to blow it out just a bit and then recover the whites.

Nice advise... thanks.

Hi guys!!

I started today my big 'lightroom' job of about 2000 pic 200 will survive I guess. Will see.
I know I'm newby but I was litterly AMAZED and loved the software the raw flessibility.... what is possible to do with raw files of my canon 450 can not immagine before....
You can get so perfect images and recover a lot, really a lot... also severely overexposed shot... unless are really really burned out!!

Can not even compare with photoshop and jpg elaboration I was used before working on films and scanning.

Quality of 12mpx shot
Quality and flessibility of raw files
Quality and controll of the elaboration in Lightroom

Can not ask more really.... when I will finish to set my new workflow I will go on like a mad!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back