Light painted bike

Well for something like this you want a very narrow beam to control light spillover to the background. It doesn't need to be very bright, as you can just go back and forth over the areas that need more light.

That wouldn't be a problem. I have a light that illuminates in a moon beam effect (round circle) rather than flushing out into the entire area.

Actually, it probably wouldn't be that good to use because it has a bit of a blue-ish tint rather than white.

It's no problem to correct the white balance if you shoot in RAW.

That may not be an option with the camera I will be buying (SX120IS)

Great idea and I like how it came out. Keep on rocking!

You have just inspired me! :)

Cool! Now that you've said that you're going to have to make a post showing what you come up with :greenpbl:

I did this one tonight:

4798272835_15f70baef7_b.jpg

Sigma 15mm fisheye @ f/13, 30sec, ISO100

This turned out great I think. Yes the clutter is noticeable but as far as the picture itself I think its awesome. Now let me use this as an opportunity to learn. How come you used such a small aperture with a long exposure instead of maybe f/8 with a much less shutter speed?

A longer exposure with less 'sensitivity' to the light (from a narrower aperture) lets me 'paint' the bike more evenly and avoids hotspots and missing areas out altogether. Plus it means I can take my time. In theory I could have left the shutter open for an hour and gone and watched TV and it wouldn't have made a difference to the shot, as there was no other light on the scene aside from the LED light I was using.
Ohhhhh perfectly explained! I didn't realize that you were moving the light throughout the picture. That makes perfect sense then.

This picture you just posted looks even better! It looks great with the tires in the background!

I like the shot and the ambience it gives. I just wish the shape around the bike was different... not so much an echo of the bike shape. I don't know, something to play around with anyway.

Most reactions

Back