Light Painting

JennEcho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I searched for a theme on this topic and didn't see one by this title, so if it's OK, I'll start one. :)

I used a special technique of lighting painting to get this image. I have several more if anyone is interested.

With Child
$i-fQ7XwzB-L.jpg

The_Enchanted_Place_6273.jpg

Light_Orb_6190.jpg

The "other" kind of painting with light - long exposure and a flashlight moved around on the subject to "paint" it with light:

Polaroid_95_1344 - 800.jpg

The "other" kind of painting with light - long exposure and a flashlight moved around on the subject to "paint" it with light:

Did you have to use a ND filter to create those? I haven't seen that much intricate detail on a light painting shot before...

Very cool.

Did you have to use a ND filter to create those? I haven't seen that much intricate detail on a light painting shot before...

Very cool.
Thank you kindly! No ND's used on these. Just straight up long exposures on bare, non-filtered lenses, late at night.

With the top one, I set the scene with camera @ ISO 100, on a tripod, pre-focused and set to bulb, then took my place in front of the camera at my pre-determined 'mark #1', where I'd pre-focused, then triggered the shutter by remote, and began the making of the photo. During the 176 second exposure, I performed the making of the orb using LED's wrapped in orange gels, with small holes that allowed the LED's to peek through to capture their blue light from certain angles. When the orb was complete, I went to my pre-arranged 'mark #2' to pose with the imaginary orb, and remote triggered two speedlights - one between the two trees on the right side of the composition to serve as a main and to help with the illusion that I'm being lit by the orb, and the other to camera left to help fill the scene and light the bark.

The shot below that was actually just one of the test shots I made while working out timings and so on to make the shot above it.

Very nice stuff! I really like the 'other' way to paint with light. I have thought about 'painting' barns with light at the suggestion of a friend. I really like the way this looks!

I used a special technique of lighting painting to get this image. I have several more if anyone is interested.
I'd love to see them. Would love to know your "special technique" as well, but I know a lot of folks don't like to reveal the "magic". :)

I had a go with "domes" not so long back, these are a few of them.

"Garden Gdomes"

1. 3 light source.

6818875116_0ea9001b49_z.jpg

6818873368_250219d5bd_z.jpg

6962335421_7dcee71005_z.jpg

Interested to know how you did yours.... :)

Cool dome shots! I've been meaning to do some of those, but haven't gotten round to it yet. Maybe this spring I'll finally do it.

Are you asking "how" on mine or Jenn's?

Cool dome shots! I've been meaning to do some of those, but haven't gotten round to it yet. Maybe this spring I'll finally do it.

Thanks Buckster.

Whoever is willing to divulge, I'm willing to learn from :D

Thanks Buckster.

Well, like the devices used to make dome shots, I've built an apparatus to gain enough control for the orb to look so perfectly round, as it does in #1. Basically, I have a pole about 3 feet tall with a point on the bottom that goes into the ground as a pivot point. A handle on it allows me to control it. Towards the top of that pole I've affixed a pulley with 2 old fishing pole rods sticking out from it. On the ends of the rods are the LED's which I wrap in gels to get different colors. The wires run down the poles toward the pulley, where I've put the batteries to run them, as well as an on/off switch.

So, while slowly turning the pulley/fishing poles/LEDs, I also pivot the pole stuck in the ground around it's axis.

As for Jen's, I have no idea, but pressed for a guess, I'd go with a long exposure of a screen saver.

Here are some of my very first experiments with painting with light. I shot these back in 1976:

1. Electric Tunnel
Electric_Tunnel_2.jpg

2. Electric Fence
Electric_Fence_2.jpg

3. Levitate
Levitate_1976.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks Buckster.

Well, like the devices used to make dome shots, I've built an apparatus to gain enough control for the orb to look so perfectly round, as it does in #1. Basically, I have a pole about 3 feet tall with a point on the bottom that goes into the ground as a pivot point. A handle on it allows me to control it. Towards the top of that pole I've affixed a pulley with 2 old fishing pole rods sticking out from it. On the ends of the rods are the LED's which I wrap in gels to get different colors. The wires run down the poles toward the pulley, where I've put the batteries to run them, as well as an on/off switch.

So, while slowly turning the pulley/fishing poles/LEDs, I also pivot the pole stuck in the ground around it's axis.

As for Jen's, I have no idea, but pressed for a guess, I'd go with a long exposure of a screen saver.

Here are some of my very first experiments with painting with light. I shot these back in 1976:

1. Electric Tunnel
Electric_Tunnel_2.jpg

2. Electric Fence
Electric_Fence_2.jpg

3. Levitate
Levitate_1976.jpg

Yikes, this makes my bike wheel on a stick seem positively primitive!
I had to read it a few times just to take it in, but the end results are very cool.
Many thanks for the detail Buckster - and Kudos for the 70's shots! :hail:

I'd love to see them. Would love to know your "special technique" as well, but I know a lot of folks don't like to reveal the "magic". :)

Thanks! Here are a few more:

Bird in Flight
$i-X3SQxSH-L.jpg

Broken Heart
$i-nbpbPSq-L.jpg

Hummingbird
$i-MnV4284-L.jpg

Angelic
$i-NVVn7Qp-L.jpg

What do you think? :)

Kids having fun in the dark with LED light sabres...

397575099.jpg

405649377.jpg

405649374.jpg

405649372.jpg

OKAY!!! How in the world do you do that? LOL that is awesome!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back