Light Room 2 Export Issue... Help!

dEARlEADER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am having a serious issues when exporting NEF's to JPG's in LR2. The issue is some of the exposure/white balance information is missing in the conversion. This is causing the JPEG to be exposed slightly higher and the white balance to be colder.

The warm image is a screen capture in LR2 of a completed NEF.

The cold image is how the JPG shows after the export.

I have made sure when exporting to select SRGB. I have viewed the JPG in various viewers and they all appear wrong. The same issue happens if I export as TIFF.

D300 Vista 32 bit

Other than going postal... I'm not sure what left to do....

LR2 screen shot of NEF ready to export to JPG SRGB

%28Bridge%20View%29%2030092008%2072227%20AM.jpg

Converted JPG as viewed from Picasa3... or exlorer.. or windows pic viewr..

Picasa%203%2030092008%2072128%20AM.jpg

I tried it and mine are coming out identical. <Shrug>

I would imagine it's something to do with color spaces by looking but there's not any options in prefs beyond the export window itself...

I tried it from ProPhoto to sRGB and from AdobeRGB to sRGB. <-- I think... I'm actually confused as to what LR2 uses when editing RAWs internally...

Maybe someone else will know..

EDIT: I'm on a Mac (of course) though.

Last edited:
I tried it and mine are coming out identical. <Shrug>

I would imagine it's something to do with color spaces by looking but there's not any options in prefs beyond the export window itself...

I tried it from ProPhoto to sRGB and from AdobeRGB to sRGB. <-- I think... I'm actually confused as to what LR2 uses when editing RAWs internally...

Maybe someone else will know..

EDIT: I'm on a Mac (of course) though.

LR2 uses prophoto when working internally.... users don't have an option for anything else... you can only choose a colourspace when exporting...

Looks like your cameras may be set to adobe RGB.. I know you said you set it to sRGB for the export but i was having the same problem until i changed the setting in the camera.

Check settings in LR2, I read somewhere about others that had this issue, this is all it took to fix the issue.

My camera is set to aRGB, and I just tested it out... it doesn't do it. Exported pics come out looking 100% as I set them up. The default export value in LR2 is to use sRGB. I then exported out the same pic again (that is originally in aRGB) and I chose to export to aRGB format. Looking at both pics... ZERO obvious visual differences, much less something as drastically different as yours.

Did you try to make sure that all the latest updates are installed?

Last edited:
Looks like your cameras may be set to adobe RGB.. I know you said you set it to sRGB for the export but i was having the same problem until i changed the setting in the camera.

well.... I didn't think lightroom used the colour profiles in my camera... i'm pretty sure they are set to SRGB but maybe not... there are four shooting banks in D300...

I'll give it a try when I get home... thanks...

Check settings in LR2, I read somewhere about others that had this issue, this is all it took to fix the issue.

My camera is set to aRGB, and I just tested it out... it doesn't do it. Exported pics come out looking 100% as I set them up. The default export value in LR2 is to use sRGB. I then exported out the same pic again (that is originally in aRGB) and I chose to export to aRGB format. Looking at both pics... ZERO obvious visual differences, much less something as drastically different as yours.

Did you try to make sure that all the latest updates are installed?

I've scoured through LR2 and can't find anything... LR2 doesn't have much in the way of preferences (aside from development). I've clicked on the "check for updates" in the help section of the program and it says i'm up to date. I know sometimes that doesn't always work so I guess I'll check with Adobe at their site. I did check their forum and couldn't find anything like my problem.

Thanks for trying though...

Conversion from DNG, ERF, and CR2 to JPG (color space set to sRGB) all working fine from LR2 on my side.

I can't try out picassa since I'm on a Mac. I also can't try it out with NEF since I don't have a nikon. Could you provide a sample NEF for us to try out from our end? It would determine if it is a setting in your installed LR2 or something to do with the RAW files themselves.

Last edited:
Conversion from DNG, ERF, and CR2 to JPG (color space set to sRGB) all working fine from LR2 on my side.

I can't try out picassa since I'm on a Mac. I also can't try it out with NEF since I don't have a nikon. Could you provide a sample NEF for us to try out from our end? It would determine if it is a setting in your installed LR2 or something to do with the RAW files themselves.

gladly... thanks for the offer.. not sure how i would go about sharing an NEF though... it's so big.... suggestions?

i just got home and will also try experimenting with my incamera settings as another poster suggested..

Just a suggestion.......

Since you have the D300 now (congrats btw), you have Capture NX. TBH, I prefer the way CNX handles setting Black/White Points and the tilt function (plus a couple other functions) over PS. I export LR2 developed file to CNX (right click) to convert the TIFF file to JPEG in PS. Yes, I could be going around my ass to get to my thumb, but it works for me without the issues you have demonstrated.

well..... i fixed it.... not sure how...

i basically went into vista colour management interface and destroyed every profile that didn't say SRGB.... lol... who knows what i'm up against in the future..

there were tons of icc colour profiles including about a dozen from Nikon from the days I used NX...

there were also a couple of custom profiles from using PS elements calibrator... don't use ps elements anymore....

The problem was with Light Room associating itself with one of the misguided profiles.. once I shook the profile the LR nefs now look like the jpegs....

I HATE COLOUR SPACES....... (OR COLOR SPACES FOR YOU AMERICANS)

thanks everyone for trying to help me out

Just a suggestion.......

Since you have the D300 now (congrats btw), you have Capture NX. TBH, I prefer the way CNX handles setting Black/White Points and the tilt function (plus a couple other functions) over PS. I export LR2 developed file to CNX (right click) to convert the TIFF file to JPEG in PS. Yes, I could be going around my ass to get to my thumb, but it works for me without the issues you have demonstrated.

thanks.... but i didn't get the free capture with my D300.... they stopped giving it away when NX2 was released.... i did try the 60 day trial but couldn't get my head around it..

ps - it does appear you are going around your ass to get to your thumb...lol..

ps - it does appear you are going around your ass to get to your thumb...lol..
..... but it is a small ass and takes little time.

Between LR2 and CNX there is little to do in PS for me. I'm not a heavy editor anyway. From the feedback of my photos, it is quite apparent. :lol:

For the record lightroom associates itself with the default output display profile.

And for another record lightroom doesn't use a colour profile internally. It converts the RAW to some linear model (probably LAB, I have no solid information on exactly what) does all calculations on that and then renders the screen with whatever output profile is set in windows (and sRGB if there's none set). ProPhoto only comes into play during export.

Most reactions

Back