Light Room 2 Export Issue... Help!

And for another record lightroom doesn't use a colour profile internally. It converts the RAW to some linear model (probably LAB, I have no solid information on exactly what) does all calculations on that and then renders the screen with whatever output profile is set in windows (and sRGB if there's none set). ProPhoto only comes into play during export.

well.... i was looking into this because I thought it might have been my problem....

every source i googled (including lightroom endorsed tutorials, and lightroom forum mod's) stated that LR2 works with prophoto internally. but i couldn't find anything regarding color space on Adobes website....

Glad you got it fixed man!

I'm also glad you had the problem! Previously I was under the impression that LR2 required me to import images into it's "library" before I could do anything with them. While looking into your problem I found out how to edit in place - which means I will be using LR2 a heck of allot more often!

BTW, LR2.1 has already been released for those wanting to stay current and bug free!

Ahhh did a quick google and it turns out we're both half right.
Lightroom uses a space derived from ProPhoto. The key difference is that its own space is based on the ProPhoto primary colours and standard white point, but has a linear gamma curve (this would look most horrid if you displayed it on the screen but is fantastic for computation). The actual ProPhoto space as we know still only comes into play when we export, although it is arguably the least destructive one to convert to during the export process since the primaries are still the same.

If only all disagreements could end in such a neutral way :D

Most reactions

Back