Light Set- Alien Bees

rjackjames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I pretty much into photography. I have decided too take a different aspect of it. I want too portrait and studio photography. I want too purchase the following light set from Alien bees. I have little knowledge on photography.

I would appreciate any help or recommendations on setting up my personal studio.

Thanks very much.

Well it is tough to comment if all you give is is the brand, do you have a link to the set or a list of that you were going to purchase?

I've had great luck with my Bee's. The 400's should be great for indoor shooting. The 400's have great recycle times. You'll probably want to get a few other light modifiers down the road, but it's a good place to start.

I've had great luck with my Bee's. The 400's should be great for indoor shooting. The 400's have great recycle times. You'll probably want to get a few other light modifiers down the road, but it's a good place to start.

Thanx.... I will debate on that selection... Light modifiers what are those? I am learning. Do you know any books on techniques. I am learning this by trial and error.

I have had really good luck with mine as well. Don't be afraid to call and ask questions, they have darn near the best costomer service I have ever dealt with. I have 3 800's and 1 400. I also bought stands, umbrellas and huge softbox from them. Mine was a package as well.

I have had really good luck with mine as well. Don't be afraid to call and ask questions, they have darn near the best costomer service I have ever dealt with. I have 3 800's and 1 400. I also bought stands, umbrellas and huge softbox from them. Mine was a package as well.

Yea I definitely give them a call. I am don't know much about studio photography i just read and have a basic knowledge about it.

I would encourage you to upgrade to the 800s. You can always turn it down, but you can't exceed the max power. You won't regret it.

I know I dont want too spend too much I am a beginner.

Its pretty cheap to upgrade to the 800's. Don't overlook ebay and buy/sell forums either.

Thanx.... I will debate on that selection... Light modifiers what are those? I am learning. Do you know any books on techniques. I am learning this by trial and error.

Light modifiers are objects that modify the size and quality of light. Umbrellas, softboxes, snoots, and grids are all considered light modifiers.

Check out "Light Science & Magic" by Phil Hunter. It's very technical, but gives a good basis on the theory of lighting. The following links are good sources as well. They mainly deal with using smaller speed lights, but the information can be applied to any type of light source.

Strobist: Lighting 101
Lighting Essentials - a Place for Photographers. Learn Lighting, Photography, Fashion and Editorial Portraiture on Location and In Studio. Portable Strobes, Studio Flash and Natural Light Photography
Zack Arias - Atlanta based editorial music photographer

yea. everyone seems to get the ABs. afforadable and reliable. a perfect strobist candidate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back