Light Speeding through Den Haag

SOME VERY NICE IMAGES of urban scenes, Frank. Very calm, very serene.

sisters:
smalledit_DSC_2509_.JPG

café:
smalledit_DSC_2506_.JPG

soap in disguise:
smallDSC_2550_.JPG

Thanks. For me Nike is the Greek Goddess of the sea and namesake of a famous US sports dressing company.

Knowing the local history helps to understand a lot.

Yet I was there for my friends and shooting. Not. Research.

So bare with me if I try to entertain you with many more keepers.

Please, don't consider my reaction as critics, that's absolutely not my intention.
It's obvious you went there for fun, not research.
Because you showed 3 pictures of the same statue and said "I do react strongly to some of these pictures" I thought some background info about statue and building could make things clear.

Although, the fact that you think Nike is the goddess of the sea is wrong.
In Greek mythology you have several gods of the sea and goddesses of the sea, but Nike ain't one of them.
It's accepted that God of the sea is Poseidon, his wife (goddess of the sea) Amphitrite, she's the mother of Triton.
Well-known names Triton and Poseidon, therefore often seen in combination with ships, rowing associations etc.

A company that makes sportswear, that is fully aimed at victory, can better be named after the goddess of victory instead of the goddess of the sea, mind you the logo of Nike is a stylish "V" which stands for Victory.
Well, never mind, I see you uploaded more nice pictures, especially the one with the model, photographer and assistent, so keep them coming...

No worries, I'll shut up after this:
The 6 statues that you photographed, these statues represent Dutch 'Rechtswissenschaftler' (such as Hugo de Groot) and they stood for almost 200 years for the building of the Supreme Court of The Netherlands. The Supreme Court has moved to the present location where you took the picture, thus also the statues.

Gerard

Thanks. For me Nike is the Greek Goddess of the sea and namesake of a famous US sports dressing company.

Knowing the local history helps to understand a lot.

Yet I was there for my friends and shooting. Not. Research.

So bare with me if I try to entertain you with many more keepers.

Please, don't consider my reaction as critics, that's absolutely not my intention.
It's obvious you went there for fun, not research.
Because you showed 3 pictures of the same statue and said "I do react strongly to some of these pictures" I thought some background info about statue and building could make things clear.

Although, the fact that you think Nike is the goddess of the sea is wrong.
In Greek mythology you have several gods of the sea and goddesses of the sea, but Nike ain't one of them.
It's accepted that God of the sea is Poseidon, his wife (goddess of the sea) Amphitrite, she's the mother of Triton.
Well-known names Triton and Poseidon, therefore often seen in combination with ships, rowing associations etc.

A company that makes sportswear, that is fully aimed at victory, can better be named after the goddess of victory instead of the goddess of the sea, mind you the logo of Nike is a stylish "V" which stands for Victory.
Well, never mind, I see you uploaded more nice pictures, especially the one with the model, photographer and assistent, so keep them coming...

No worries, I'll shut up after this:
The 6 statues that you photographed, these statues represent Dutch 'Rechtswissenschaftler' (such as Hugo de Groot) and they stood for almost 200 years for the building of the Supreme Court of The Netherlands. The Supreme Court has moved to the present location where you took the picture, thus also the statues.

Gerard

I love it that you know so much about the place! When in California I met a photographer who is biologisty by education, Bill, specialized on the plants of the area. He could tell me next to anything about any plant. I was an eager listener, I love to learn.But at the same time, I try not to read about places in advance. I want to be impressed by applying an innocent perspective on the unknown.

Thank you for correcting my false memory! You are right, Greek Goddes Nike is Latin Goddes Victoria, like Hermes/Merkur or Zeus/Jupiter or Artemis/Diana and so on. One learns so much and is blessed with forgetting!

smalledit_DSC_2538__01.JPG
smalledit_DSC_2537__01.JPG
smalledit_DSC_2536__01.JPG

On Sunday I found a nice church named after Ignatius of Loyola (D500, Fisheye Nikor 8-15mm, High ISO):

smalledit_DSC_2720_.JPG
smallKO7_6096_.JPG
smallKO7_6101_.JPG
smallKO7_6103_.JPG
smallKO7_6104_.JPG

panoramic view of the high court:

smallhighcourt_.JPG

There are a few very nice streets near to where the Embassies are, that remind me of the opening scenes in the famous film: "Notting Hill" ... window shopping in The Hague:

smalledit_DSC_2493_.JPG
smalledit_DSC_2498_.JPG
smalledit_DSC_2503_.JPG
smalledit_DSC_2504_.JPG
smalledit_DSC_2505_.JPG
smalledit_DSC_2511_.JPG
smalledit_DSC_2617_.JPG
smalledit_DSC_2620_.JPG
smalledit_DSC_2621_.JPG
smalledit_DSC_2636_.JPG

Another view of the Organ:

smalledit_DSC_2717_.JPG

Last edited:
Another view of the ceiling. Can you attach to the amount of work and money that went into that building then and now???

smalledit_KO7_6124_.JPG

even the modern parts (electrical lights, the church was built in the 1890ies) of the building have been carefully selected to stand for themselves and at the same time blend into the historic background:

smalledit_DSC_2719_.JPG

The light design is carefully laid out to have natural light entering through the windows (shots were taken on Sunday, first of October 2017 before 13:00) harmonize with the electrical and the reflected light. A lot of thought and taste went into this!

smalledit_DSC_2750_.JPG

and we leave this place with an overview of the central aisle:

smalledit_KO7_6100_.JPG

Most reactions

New Topics

Back