Light stand, Cheap!

RyanLilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, Part of using the strobist method of lighting is because its Cheap! I think that a good alternative to light stands would be microphone stands, yes they don't fold up as small but, a regular stand is like $13, and a boom stand is $20. Plus I think that the boom would be very useful in positioning reflectors ans such. Now I know that both microphone stands and lighting stands have 5/8" diameter studs, but for the life of me I cannot seem to remember the thread pitch on either. I think that the microphone stand may be NF(National Fine)-18TPI, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know that the lighting stand thread count is, or have a mic clip to thread on a light stand to check?

I would guess they are the same, but I'd love to know.

A light stand will usually have a 5/8" stud...no threads.

I'm not sure about threads that the stud may screw into...

Small lighting instruments usually fit over a plain 5/8" stud, so they would clamp over a 5/8" thread of any pitch as long as the stand itself did not expand beyond 5/8" over the length of the socket on the light.

The differences between the mic stands I have and the light stands is that the mic stands have heavier bases and weaker poles/arms than the light stands. I often use a light stand for mics, but never the other way round.

Best,
Helen

Take a look at a light stand, and a mic stand... not quite the same stability either, and a good mic stand is heavier and way more expensive. I have a $250 mic stand that is near 10 pounds and still not as stable as my $25 studio strobe stand. The base may be heavier, but its about 12-16" narrower in width. Mic stands have to maintain room for the singer to be close and not trip over the legs... no such issues for a light stand.

Most reactions

Back