Lightbox Photos C&C

Thats funny i used that same article to make mine :p. Although... maybe i shouldve said this before but im only lighting one side and its with a yellow bulb not a white one... is that the problem?

Yeah dude... that's your issue...
Get yourself a white bulb, and two more lights and that should do the trick. Here is pretty much the exact same type of desk lamp that I used.
Walmart.com: Lite Source Gooseneck One Light Desk Lamp in Black: Decor

Here is one more example of an image with two sides lit and white bulbs
stilllife_778624.jpg

Remember, you can move the lights around, closer or further away to adjust the brightness of the light. Good luck, and get yourself some white bulbs :thumbup:

Alright thanks man. I figured the bulb was the issue. And maybe the pink tissue paper i used to cover the sides of the box :p. Ill go out shopping tomorrow and get the lights/paper (i am not driving out in this horrid snow). Thanks for all the input ;)

Yellow lights and pink paper.:er:

Also, level your shot in camera.

Pink Tissue Paper??? You never said anything about pink tissue paper :playball:

That explains the shades of red. Yeah fix tissue color and bulb color and you'll be money... Good luck and post your results...

Hahah i didnt want to say anyting about it :p

You need more light. They are all flat. If you are going to use tungsten lights, use some reflectors also. Your subject light needs to be at least 1/2 stop brighter than your lightbox. That will make you subject pop.

Or you could use more lamps but it is easier to use foam core board as a reflector.

Last edited:
:lmao:
Tungsten light, off center composition, pink tissue paper, 1 light source.... :lol:

So this is actually really easy to do, I'm sure we'll get you up to speed with a setup that will given you even, white light, and a good background. The camera work is really up to you.

You are trying to get even white light on your subject with the white box, so you'll need a few lights, and if doing this on the cheap you can use these clamp lights to accomplish that
8.5 In. Incandescent Clamp Light - E-245 at The Home Depot

For lighting, you can pick up some inexpensive compact fluorescent bulbs (I used 27w)
EcoSmart 27 Watt (100W) Daylight, 2 Pack (E)* - ES5M827250K at The Home Depot

Then remove your pink paper and head to an arts and craft store like Michaels and pick up a few different colors of Bristol paper for your sweeps. Then look around for any thin, WHITE, cloth or paper (like trace paper). This will be used to diffuse your lights so you dont get hot spots.
Or you could say to hell with the diffusion and adjust the distance and angle of your lighting to be more reflective (especially off the back). Anything would be better then colored diffusion material.

Here are a couple examples.

Black sweep in the lightbox.
707367386_StpQo-M.jpg

WHite Sweep
707072235_e2vQY-M.jpg

707068158_gK5hH-S.jpg

Nice shots man ;) and thanks for the advice. Anyway, I got some white tissue paper and put that around (but still have yet to get the white bulbs). Any comments on these?

Kaffe2.jpg

Kaffe1.jpg

You have yellow showing up on your sweep from your lighting.
The coffee box has uneven lighting, the top left is under exposed, where the bottom right is properly exposed.

Yep i noticed that too. And the yellow issue is because the one white bulb that i do have is on the right and the yellow is on the left. (Would that have something to do with the exposure issues?)

what kind of "white" bulb are you using?
Either way, you need to get rid of the yellow all together, and you need atleast 3 lights to get this all dialed in (maybe 4).

I'd go with one at the right corner, left corner, top angled so it's hitting the front, and one on the back top for back light.
Then spot meter off the face of the coffee box, and you should be good.

You could easily fix the white balance right now, but it would be a bit harder to fix the uneven lighting you have on the box.

Sorry, when i say "white" bulbs i mean daylight bulbs. And ill try it with three or four lamps tomorrow when i go to pick them up. Heres some lemons i took with one "white" bulb on the right side of the box :p.

DSC01406.jpg

DSC01405.jpg

Most reactions

Back