Lighting Advice

a professional has to be prepared to shoot whatever the CLIENT NEEDS.
Only if that's what they've billed their services and capabilities as being able to deliver. In most cases, professional photographers focus on a single niche genre, and that may require only natural light, or one light, or two lights, or a dozen lights. It may be they only shoot pets, or babies, or seniors, or weddings, or landscapes, or stock. You don't get to define ANY of that for other professional photographers. You do what you do and they do what they do. You have no right to declare or imply that they're inferior to you just because they don't shoot what you shoot or use the gear that you use.

And sometimes, or actually, usually, that requires a lot of light, and several light heads and modifiers.
Again, not unless they've billed themselves as "do it ALL" photographers. Most photographers don't. Most photographers concentrate on a single niche and client base, and MOST of those niches and the photographers that are shooting them do not require several light heads and every possible modifier ever made.

Welcome to reality. Feel free to disembark from your high horse and get comfy if you plan to stick around.

Buckster, I agree with you. To a point. Hey, he really doesn't 'need' studio lights at all. I recently showed someone on here how to build a "soft light small product photography studio" for free on any non south facing window ledge. Well, I guess the sheet of white bounce paper costs $.02, but still.

If the OP wants to limit the scope to a niche, I'd think the OP would be a good place to do so. Further he's had every opportunity to say "hey, slow down here, I just need to shoot little league football card pictures" or some such. But he hasn't narrowed his niche, so the only reasonable assumption is that he intends to do "general studio work".

If he only needs to shoot some niche, then of course the equipment needs might be much lower (and also easier to spell out).

OP? Is there some niche you're aiming at, or do you intend to respond to client needs in general?

However, as to hot lights in this scenario... there are differences of opinion, and then there's just plain bad advice. Horribly bad advice. If the budget is already limited (and in the absence of some stated niche), the OP can little afford to go off on a hot light adventure here. That is just plain irresponsibly bad advice.

^^^^^^^ I have never used window light for a product illustration.... that is amateur land. What client is going to pay $2-3000 a day for a product shot by window light ...what if the day you are booked it is raining.....this is pure hog wash.

You do your "professional studio photography" with 60w bulbs? Really?

Sure you can use a home depot reflector to take a cool picture of an apple against a black background. But a professional has to be prepared to shoot whatever the CLIENT NEEDS. And sometimes, or actually, usually, that requires a lot of light, and several light heads and modifiers.

So, how specifically do you adjust your hot lights so the fill is directional, and 1 stop down, from your main which is soft, keying your main to f8, without effing the effin heck out of the white balance as your incandescents shift to yellow on the home depot dimmer but not on the full power main?

Take one professional shoot you have done, explain what the problem was, and explain how you solved it, using your hot lights. I can almost guarantee that can't because you don't do actually this. The scrim frames and stands and sand bags and booms clamps and fabrics and light modifiers alone would cost more than and entire studio worth of flash gear.

Me?
No, I use speedlights.

Since you've obviously missed the point... Horribly.

lol Now I find myself taking Buckster's side in this...

The photographer in question does product shots for small craft products sold on Etsy. Call it a hunch, but the budget is not measured in $thousands per year, let alone per day. And if its raining today, then he can wait and shoot tomorrow. He's doing a favor or a small job for friends, and is at least taking it seriously enough to learn how to do the best job he can. I respect that. So I helped him out.

And while it may be pure amateur land, I bet he gets much better shots than most everyone using a flash for the same job (except for the rare flash users have invested a good bit of time and energy in learning to control the flash).

I didn't join here to get sucked into pedantic pissing matches. I'm not responding to this thread anymore since I can see it going someplace unproductive, and I'd prefer to stay on better terms with everyone here.

OP: You can START here for $250. Flashpoint FPBK1 Budget Studio Monolight Flash Kit 160 FPBK1

You will need more, much more, but this will get you started in your budget. (I'm not even sure these are adjustable power lights... if not I'd take a pass on them).

If you want to talk further, feel free to send a PM, and I'll give whatever guidance I can.

Most reactions

Back