lighting concern

silver163

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am not sure if I can post the pictures here cause they are 18+ but what occurs that is problematic in my photos is that when i try to create "highlights" in my photos the strobes I use create a very large highlight and essentially light very well one side of the body and create a bit shadow on the other side. it also lights up the background way too much.

what can i do to fix this?

Without seeing the problem it's hard to diagnose, it could be the angle, intensity or proximity of the strobe..

that's the thing, i need a moderator to tell me if i can post the links to these photos.

this highlight issue been bugging me for quite a while.

Links are permissable.

A warning along with the links if there is nudity would be required (NSFW)

Be aware the forum accepts membeship from people 13 and up.

Flags, snoots, barndoors, gobo's are used to keep unwanted light off of backgrounds. Having the subject far enough away from the backgroung also helps.

Ok so here is the troublesome (NSFW 18+) photograph:

http://i50.tinypic.com/jfcl76.jpg

so you can see that half of her body is competely lit up and nothing interesting cause the background got lit up as well.

but here is a better photograph were the light is concentrated on her face (NSFW 18+)

http://i50.tinypic.com/2qbrk2x.jpg

with the light concentrated on her face and the background is not lit up. so what am i doing wrong?

i got two alienbees B800 strobes with one bounce umbrella and one shoot through.

One of the biggest problems with using shoot-through umbrellas is that they can blast light all over the shooting area; you get light going through the umbrella, and you also get light bouncing off of the inner curve of the umbrella, and that light causes what is called "ambient spill light". The ambient spill light from a shoot-through umbrella can, in many rooms with low ceilings or smaller-sized rooms, raise up the overall lighting in the room, thus creating a lot of fairly well-lit areas behind the main subject.

One of the things about umbrellas is that they tend to light up a fairly broad swath of real estate; in some situations, that makes umbrellas produce rather dull, flat lighting. The light going through a shoot-through can create a main light effect, and in some rooms, the ambient spill lighting creates what is, for all intents and purposes, fill lighting. At times, the fill created can be strong enough that the lighting effect is somewhat dull and uninteresting.

One way to counteract this is to use a reflecting umbrella, which sends basically all of the light out, in one direction, not half forward and half to the rear. Or, use an enclosed umbrellas, like the Lastolite Umbrella Box, or the Photek softlighter, which both perform more like a softbox than an umbrella. Or, use a softbox. Or, use a larger-sized parabolic reflector, like a 16 to 22-inch reflector. Or use a beauty dish, either with or without a grid and or diffuser cap. Or, use a softbox. A softbox with a recessed face will help eliminate backdrop light-up, and a softbopx with an egg crate grid will help keep the light mostly confined to the areas right in front of the softbox, and will minimize spread of light to the background.

One of the biggest problems with using shoot-through umbrellas is that they can blast light all over the shooting area; you get light going through the umbrella, and you also get light bouncing off of the inner curve of the umbrella, and that light causes what is called "ambient spill light". The ambient spill light from a shoot-through umbrella can, in many rooms with low ceilings or smaller-sized rooms, raise up the overall lighting in the room, thus creating a lot of fairly well-lit areas behind the main subject.

One of the things about umbrellas is that they tend to light up a fairly broad swath of real estate; in some situations, that makes umbrellas produce rather dull, flat lighting. The light going through a shoot-through can create a main light effect, and in some rooms, the ambient spill lighting creates what is, for all intents and purposes, fill lighting. At times, the fill created can be strong enough that the lighting effect is somewhat dull and uninteresting.

One way to counteract this is to use a reflecting umbrella, which sends basically all of the light out, in one direction, not half forward and half to the rear. Or, use an enclosed umbrellas, like the Lastolite Umbrella Box, or the Photek softlighter, which both perform more like a softbox than an umbrella. Or, use a softbox. Or, use a larger-sized parabolic reflector, like a 16 to 22-inch reflector. Or use a beauty dish, either with or without a grid and or diffuser cap. Or, use a softbox. A softbox with a recessed face will help eliminate backdrop light-up, and a softbopx with an egg crate grid will help keep the light mostly confined to the areas right in front of the softbox, and will minimize spread of light to the background.

is that it?

how do i ensure no overexposure but highlights? what are the general steps for that?

I do not understand your question. If you re-state it, perhaps me, or another poster, can address your question and give a solid answer. Sorry that I do not quite understand.

im usually a big fan of shoot throughs but inside they are an issue. throw a cover on it and turn it into a reflecting one.

that or you could flag parts of it to avoid the spill.

I do not understand your question. If you re-state it, perhaps me, or another poster, can address your question and give a solid answer. Sorry that I do not quite understand.

i want to make sure that i have highlights in my photos without overexposing my entire subject.

my question is just that in order to ensure that only certain areas get highlights do i just need to use umbrellas that bounce light?

you basically need more light control.

shoot throughs throw lots of soft light, but they throw it everywhere.

that you could do is have one large soft light giving her even exposure (through a shoot through) and one hard light directly on her face or wherever you want the highlights, and either grid or flag it so you have it light only what you want to light.

Most reactions

Back