Lighting deep set eyes?

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so some of you might recall a senior shoot i did with a young lady. though both she and her mom loved them, we decided to do a follow up shoot. she has naturally heavy eye lids which were a bit of a challenge. i was wondering if there was any way to try lighting her to bring out her best features. i was thinking maybe have her look slightly up at the camera. not sure though. thanks

example
1ttuh3.jpg

I know you can't do it for all your shots, but if she's laying on her back and tilting her head back, gravity might help the eyelid problem. Maybe get really creative and figure out a way to shoot upside down, and then flip the image?

haha i can see it now "hey, could you do a handstand so gravity can open your eyes more?" haha i might try that one pose on the back looking up. its hard to get directional lighting because shadows are created and deepen her eyes

Her eyes don't look deeply set. Her eyelids look lazy.
You may need to gently remind her to try to open them as wide as she can.

When I was the subject of a photosoot, the photographer kept yelling at me to open my eyes. It actually became funny, and got some great expressions.

Eyes are tough though. They can easily make goofy pictures/expressions.

yeah, im gonna have to. she knows she has them so she wont be offended. thanks for the input.

I agree, the don't look too deep set, just partially closed.

If your model did have deep set eyes, you can use a reflector and hold it (have someone hold it) below them. For head shots, they can even hold it themselves.

Those don't seem like they're deep set, more like she's got a cold, her nose is red too. I'm sure she wasn't sick though.

So for things like that where they eye sockets are a little wierd, just use the clone stamp at 50% opacity and grab some of her cheek bones or forehead, a lighter skintone and just paint in the sockets and her nose:

1ttuh3.jpg

1ttuh32.jpg

She needs help with her makeup too.

Doesn't look to me like she's wearing any..

Tyler, I liked the one picture you took of her where she wasn't smiling.

I agree. The makeup (or lack thereof) doesn't compliment or help anything. I think if you do looking up to the camera, they might look forced, but see what you can get. It'd be best if she put a foundation all over her face & neck and then applied some light makeup, or if she wants to keep it natural, just a natural color on the eyelids to take away the redness and then powder the face to set it. I'd recommend going to MAC and buying just the setting powder and eyeshadow and letting them do the makeup. It's spending money (not a lot) but they'll know how to bring out the best.
I also think, that for a senior picture, she looks just so plain. I think she'd look good with some waves in her hair and a nicer shirt, but if that's not her style, it's not my say. Just suggesting.
As for photos, the proper makeup should aid and if you count before you shoot, that could maybe remind her to keep her eyes open for that time of the shot.
Hope that helped, good luck!

Reflector or a pop of fill flash for deep set eyes althouh I'd say a reflector would lift most images - I certainly don't use it enough but see the difference a well directed reflector can make.

the reflector doesn't need to be below the subject - could be a few feet away but so long as it directs the light into the right area.

As stated the eyes don't look inset - she just needs to open them which comes from your direction if you see that happening.

Good luck
Jim

thanks everyone for the help. i dont really feel comfortable telling her to change her make up or outfit, if its what she likes and it's her style, then i think thats how she should look i guess. im all about capturing people as they are if that makes sense. the weather today kinda stinks so we rescheduled. thanks everyone again, i will follow up when the shoot is done

sure that makes sense, but how will you know it's not her style if you don't ask? I thought it would've taken the focus off her eyes a bit and looked more like a senior portrait and not so..in my eyes, normal posed shots. if you're going to be scared to give suggestions or ask questions...idk. but horray for going against the grain i guess. if you're not gonna suggest to change/apply a bit of simple makeup because you don't want to offend her, then i hope you retouch the redness.

Last edited:
thanks everyone for the help. i dont really feel comfortable telling her to change her make up or outfit, if its what she likes and it's her style, then i think thats how she should look i guess. im all about capturing people as they are if that makes sense. the weather today kinda stinks so we rescheduled. thanks everyone again, i will follow up when the shoot is done

This is YOUR art. You are putting YOUR name on it. While the client is the one ordering the prints, the images should look exactly how YOU want them to. Would you tell her if she had a booger in her nose? Probably. So you should be able to tell her, "Hey, I think a taupe color on your eyelids would make your eyes pop. Wanna try?" And as a photographer, you should have NO problem suggesting what people wear. Yes, it's their photo, but it's your creative expression. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want.

A little off-topic, but there are photogs that ask you to email them photos before they book your session. How shallow is that? They only shoot certain "types". Crazy!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back