Lighting Equipment/ Backgrounds

cw4u

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm going to start taking pictures at school dances, and need to know what type of lighting equipment and backgrounds I need. I'll be working with a Rebel XTi and the kit lens. The school that I'll be taking pictures in will also have fluorescent lighting, if that makes any difference. I plan to buy a digital radio slave to go with it.

Also, what type of backgrounds should I get? I don't think I'll need anything special, because they just want a basic picture. If their is a theme, the school will design everything for me. I was just going to get a standard grey muslin.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Will you be shooting people on the dance floor? If yes then you'll need to get a flash and overpower the fluorescents. If you don't use flash then pay atttention to white balance, you might even need a custom wb setting for the particular fluorescents in your school.

If you are also shooting individuals or couples away from the main hall and as portraits then have a look at the room beforehand and plan your lighting. Could be a flash and a reflector is all you'll need. See the strobist site for some inspiration.

Most reactions

Back