Lighting Equipment

ShootHoops

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ariellemyers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you use? I don't know much about lighting, but I'm ready to learn. I'd like to purchase a lighting kit soon, but first I want to know what everybody else has and would recommend.

Thanks. :)

What are you planning to photograph? There's lots of different ways to light a subject, and it's all going to depend on what the subejct matter is, and what your budget is. If you are going to photograph still lifes, then some continuous output lighting is fine. If you are going to focus on portraiture, you'll want to look at a strobe setup.

Alien Bees makes affordable, quality monolights and accessories.

I was planning on doing portraits. I'd say my budget is somewhere around $300. I've checked out the Alien Bees site before. I was just wondering if there were any other brands you all would suggest. :) Thanks, Matt.

This has been discussed, exhaustively, a few times in the last few months...maybe you can search out the threads.

What it boils down to, IMO...is that for portraits, strobes are best...and good strobes don't come too cheap. Alien Bee is one of the best in terms of price, and $300 won't get you too much.

There are certainly other ways to get the job done. Window light and a simple reflector can make for really great portraits, for example.

I know it's temping to look at all the cheap 'lighting kits' available...and I'm sure they are good for some things...but IMO, you would quickly find them very limiting. My advice it to keep learning with the camera and equipment that you have now.

Another vote for the AB's. It's hard when your budget is limited, but don't get fooled into buying something cheap.

The only 'cheap' kits I've read about that most people speak pretty good about are by Steve Kaeser. He's got some stuff on ebay too.
http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/skaeser/Detail?no=371

Make sure you understand what you are reading. Most of the 'kits' from Kaeser are combined output. So, a two light, 360 w/s kit, would actually have two 180 w/s lights. That's ok for simple head and shoulder shots, but it isn't going to let you get very creative, or do group shots.

If your budget is really tight...you can always get creative and try some things yourself. I have found that there are some pretty good projects on THIS SITE.

Most reactions

Back