Lighting Experiment: Part 3

JackRabbit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The next in my, series I guess, of experiments with my lighting. This was from a shoot I did with my little sister and four of her friends, and my friend Maryssa.

Strobist Info:
Picture of Lighting Setup

------
View On Black
4299135862_6e637b87b6_b.jpg

------
View On Black
4299136354_129799bf1a_b.jpg

------
View On Black
4299136982_c6ef21b873_b.jpg

4 (And my favorite)
------
View On Black (Seriously, do it.)
4298456353_7776847fb1_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think you might be creating bags under the eyes.

See how the catchlights are in the bottom of the eye.... I think they belong off center to the north...

Looking at your setup, I think it is most likely due to Vivitar being on the floor directly in front of model. At least get that above the head of the subject and at an angle. Just my rookie opinions. Nice improvising for studio setup by the way. I would cover all that stuff you aren't using with white sheets so light will bounce evenly in the room.

to take it one step further from catchlights (though I love them) your subjects are underexposed AND there are shadows under the eyes (racoon eyes) which aren't pretty at all and based on your setup pic it shows why - you lit them up from above; use the fill light...

I would say above face level, at about 45 degrees off center. Also, take one of your lights down and use it to fill the face. I think you are doing a good job experimenting. You are lucky to have such willing models to learn with.

This is one thing that I had to learn, and it is what I base everything I do on. It is your goal to make the subject look amazing. It is hard to judge off the LCD, but try. Flatter the model as good as you can.

One setup that I want to try, that I hear a lot about...
Soft box as key at 45 degrees camera left. Umbrella as fill light 45 degrees camera right, but further back or turned down a stop. Snoot to light hair.

Try that setup... obviously modified to what you have. instead of softbox (which you can find cheap on ebay), you can try your sheet method (just don't put sheet to close, fire hazard!!!). instead of umbrella, you can try one of your continuous lights bounced off reflector (use poster board and aluminum foil if you don't have one).

Adjust your continuous lights until you see no harsh shadows. Then when you get good with the strobe you can play around with it a bit more.

I am actually trying to learn just as you are, and I have read a lot of this on the web so most of this isn't from my experience, but others. I hope this helps. Google lighting setups and watch the vids... they really help.

I would try that except unfortunately I have no continuous lights. Just strobes. And its kinda tough sometimes because I don't really have that great of lighting in the room that I shoot in so I usually end up shooting in almost pitch black. Usually just by the light of my laptop screen and a little LED flashlight duct taped to one my my tripods that I use for a focusing light

Just strobes? Yea that makes it difficult for a beginner for sure. Saves on electricity and temperature though. Well you can do the same setup with strobes, it will just take longer to figure out placement.

Huge improvement each time. But still, you need to stop lighting from so high. Great for a hair light, but not your key. lol Bring the main light lower. The sheet should be going from top to bottom, not spread horizontally with your floor.

+1 on the bags, since your lighting from the top you're going to get weird shadows.

#3 is my favorite. Sharp and good contrast. Keep it up Rabbit!

I wish I knew as much as you do when I was your age!lol These are way better than a lot of photos ive seen by more experienced photographers on TPF. Keep up the good work.

Wow- seriously beautiful model here. Just a bit of warmth and smooth to compensate for the shadows...

4299135862_6e637b87b6_b.jpg

lovely photos
i think they just need a bit photoshop to be perfect
here's a lil try..

By ImageHousing.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back