Lighting Experiment: Part 4

JackRabbit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did a shoot with my new, ghetto-ass beauty dish and my new black backdrop. Please take the time to leave at least a short critique before you leave :)

And also, make sure you click the little yellow bar above the image so that you see the full image, not the crappy resize that the forum does

Strobist Info:
Light Setup

4312102067_9f18e380ca_b.jpg

Last edited:
its a little over exposed and there's a glare to the right.

The shirt and highlighted background to the right take the eye away from the face IMO.

Hey JackRabbit. See the shadow on the model's right side of nose (left side from our POV), couple that with the strong key coming from right side of image, and you can see how you were a little off. Same picture might have worked with him turned to his left and the flash powered down until the whites aren't washed out.

You are improving though, hope you're having fun learning as you go.

Hey Jack-

I read an article once that said your eye is generally drawn to the lightest portion of an image. So when you are taking portraits on a black background, you might want to think about less contrasty clothing. That way, they eye is drawn to the face rather than the clothes. I put a little vingette on to detract from the bright white. A lot of people on here HATE vingettes, but I think they work sometimes. ;) I also cropped more into a head shot since I felt the white shirt was a somewhat distracting. Other than that just some smoothing.

4312102067_9f18e380ca_2.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back