Lighting for Preschool Graduation photos

birdfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm doing this for free as a favor to a friend. It was either me or she was going to do them with a point and shoot.

There are 25 students and they are wanting a head and shoulders shot of each child with cap and gown. I'm wanting to do a white background but I'm open to any suggestion. They boys will be in blue and the girls in red.

I have a Canon T3i and I'll use either my 50mm 1.8 or 85mm 1.8. I have a backdrop stand and a roll of black seamless. I also have a large cream colored blanket I can use. I've tried a little with a wrinkled white sheet but can't get it right.

I have YN460-II speedlite with a stand and triggers to use as an off camera flash if need be.

I also have some old school lights that a friend let me borrow. He used it for videos years ago.
It has 2 tripod stands, 3 Everlight JTL light brackets with 3 500W bulbs, 2 large softboxes that measure 2ft by 2ft, and 2 round attachments that are meant to concentrate the light I assume.

I'm wanting to do a white background but I'm definitely open to black or grey as well. Does anyone have setups using the equipment in have to accomplish this? I'm playing around with it now but was hoping to get some help from others who might have more experience. Thanks in advance!

Brandon

I would use a roll of white seamless, if you can get one. Then whenever a kid messes it up, you just roll out some more. It'll be a nightmare in post processing to try to smooth out wrinkles in a white sheet for 20-30 portraits. I would choose white over black because some of the kids might have black hair or dark skin, and you'd need to worry about a hair light with black. Gray would also be fine if you can find gray seamless.

I'd use the 50mm so you can be a bit closer and talk to them. I'd also use a stool or chair for them to sit on so you can leave the camera and lights in place.

I would use one light off camera in a softbox with a reflector on the other side. Basically, this is just because it sounds like you don't have much experience, and balancing two flashes can be tricky. The hard part will be positioning the light so that the hats don't cast a shadow over the eyes. It will DEFINITELY take some practice, so make sure to get a little model with the cap and gown a few days ahead of time.

I'd also use a stool or chair for them to sit on so you can leave the camera and lights in place.
I wouldn't. Sitting changes their posture for the worse. Just mark the floor with some tape where you want them to stand.

Maybe you just should've let the friend use a p&s. Really, I've worked with little kids, my advice is you better be quick. Especially a day like this, they'll be wound up and excited, over tired, parents & grandparents will be there, etc. etc.

Make sure you're set up somewhere before this starts, then when they bring them to you you're all set. Try maybe a few at a time? and yeah, maybe just mark where to stand and get a quick shot or two then go to the next. Depends on the age, if this is for younger or older preschoolers, how much waiting they'll be able to do. These things in my experience are usually pretty much assembly line.

Maybe try to find out where this will be and see if there's already a decent looking background. See if they'll have a place along a wall with a sign or banner - I've seen that done and they may want something like that used.

Be aware of where you set up any equipment (which I'd probably keep minimal) and don't be surprised if something gets accidently bumped into (make sure it's anchored as securely as possible).

You do not seem to have much experience in this area, so it might actually be easier to allow the teacher to shoot a direct-flash shot using a P&S camera. But then again...if you want to do this, shoot for a classically-styled graduation portrait look. I would light from the camera left side (centuries' worth of tradition). Put little cardboard foot outlines at the focus line distance of 10 feet with the 50mm lens, with the pair of foot outlines facing 40 degrees camera right, so the shoulders will be turned camera right, but the head looking camera left, and showing the left side of the subject face (again, the most-classical face presentation for centuries).

Light with a 30- to 32-inch umbrella located camera left,about 40 degrees off-axis, and set low enough on the light stand to get light under the mortarboards. A big umbrella is NOT needed, and will be a waste...a smaller umbrella is actually better for this; this is a classic portrait look, not some soft-light fashion portrait. Crop the 50mm shots, as desired.

Use the flash at HALF-power, so you can get faster recycle. Since you're not a studio shooter, you're going to have to really, really,really pay attention to expression, since you will likely only have time for two frames per child, three if you are lucky.

I would actually favor using 1/4 power flash and ISO 400 as a way to get faster flash recycle.

Basically, the feet are facing camera-RIGHT, so the shoulders are angled that way. The FACE is turned TOWARD the light,located camera left. The child does not need to look at the camera; if you have a remote, stand to the left of the camera. THis is a photo "of" the child, not a picture of the kid looking "at the camera". This is a graduation portrait; the parents will use their smart phones to take dozens of snaps of their child looking at the lens

If you do not have an umbrella, this 40 degree camera-left flash placement will still give facial modeling, some shadows for shape, and will eliminate on-camera direct flash shows on the backdrop.

Frankly the lighting is easy. As Derrel suggested or even something as simple as on camera with a Big Bounce. The hard part is going to be dealing with the preschoolers, they just don't take direction well. With that I wish you luck.

Thanks for all the tips, I think the 50mm will be better since I'm not sure exactly how much space I will have. I won't be able to get white seamless though.
The problem I'm having is getting a uniform background. I forgot to mention that my lights are continuous except for the off camera Yongnuo flash.
I have footprints for the kids to stand on or crates for them to sit on. I'm used to dealing with kids and I know I will have to be quick.
My main concern right now is trying to get my background lit correctly.
I'll be there at least an hour early to set things up and secure all equipment.

Derrel, I've set up as you said using an umbrella and off camera flash camera left 40° off center with child positioned as said. I just can't get my background to look good.

I'm doing this for free as a favor to a friend. It was either me or she was going to do them with a point and shoot.

There are 25 students and they are wanting a head and shoulders shot of each child with cap and gown. I'm wanting to do a white background but I'm open to any suggestion. They boys will be in blue and the girls in red.

I have a Canon T3i and I'll use either my 50mm 1.8 or 85mm 1.8. I have a backdrop stand and a roll of black seamless. I also have a large cream colored blanket I can use. I've tried a little with a wrinkled white sheet but can't get it right.

I have YN460-II speedlite with a stand and triggers to use as an off camera flash if need be.

I also have some old school lights that a friend let me borrow. He used it for videos years ago.
It has 2 tripod stands, 3 Everlight JTL light brackets with 3 500W bulbs, 2 large softboxes that measure 2ft by 2ft, and 2 round attachments that are meant to concentrate the light I assume.

I'm wanting to do a white background but I'm definitely open to black or grey as well. Does anyone have setups using the equipment in have to accomplish this? I'm playing around with it now but was hoping to get some help from others who might have more experience. Thanks in advance!

Brandon
I would use a roll of white seamless, if you can get one. Then whenever a kid messes it up, you just roll out some more. It'll be a nightmare in post processing to try to smooth out wrinkles in a white sheet for 20-30 portraits. I would choose white over black because some of the kids might have black hair or dark skin, and you'd need to worry about a hair light with black. Gray would also be fine if you can find gray seamless.

I'd use the 50mm so you can be a bit closer and talk to them. I'd also use a stool or chair for them to sit on so you can leave the camera and lights in place.

I would use one light off camera in a softbox with a reflector on the other side. Basically, this is just because it sounds like you don't have much experience, and balancing two flashes can be tricky. The hard part will be positioning the light so that the hats don't cast a shadow over the eyes. It will DEFINITELY take some practice, so make sure to get a little model with the cap and gown a few days ahead of time.

It's good if you've worked with kids. Most people trying something like this haven't. As far as marking where to stand, the thing about cardboard cutouts is more of a chance of them tripping/slipping (depending on age. etc.).

The school should probably have some playground equipment and might have something they use - we used circles made for gym play to place on the floor. Or we sometimes used carpet squares. Maybe some sort of tape on the floor to mark where to stand if the preschool says it's OK on their particular type of flooring. I'd ask about crates or if they have those or seats or what they prefer be brought in and used.

Thanks for all the tips, I think the 50mm will be better since I'm not sure exactly how much space I will have. I won't be able to get white seamless though.
The problem I'm having is getting a uniform background. I forgot to mention that my lights are continuous except for the off camera Yongnuo flash.
I have footprints for the kids to stand on or crates for them to sit on. I'm used to dealing with kids and I know I will have to be quick.
My main concern right now is trying to get my background lit correctly.
I'll be there at least an hour early to set things up and secure all equipment.

Derrel, I've set up as you said using an umbrella and off camera flash camera left 40° off center with child positioned as said. I just can't get my background to look good.

Brandon

6' away from a nice brick wall makes a good background and schools like to build with brick.

White seamless paper roll suspended, child seven feet in front of the paper, flash about six feet from the child, ought to have a medium-gray backdrop with the shutter at 1/125 second and the lens at f/11...

If the backdrop is getting too much light, then go with the black paper. Orrrrrr...just let the teacher shoot the shots with the small P&S camera, or do as has been suggested, a sort of "location portrait" shot, perhaps at one of the school's activity or play areas.

Thanks again guys. I like the brick wall idea too. I don't have access to white seamless. But I did find a large white comforter that has no wrinkles. I ended up laying my off camera flash on the ground pointed at the backdrop about 1 ft in front of it.
Then I placed my subject about 10 ft away from the background. I used a softbox first at 45 degrees camera left and then I also tried the softbox in front of the subject with it pointed down and I liked that better. Gonna play with it some more but at least I know I can get a completely white background that way.

Derrel or derelict as my autocorrect tried to put, those settings you gave gave me a medium grey background just like you said. Thanks so much! It would be better with white seamless but the white comforter is doing the job. The only thing is that now my subject isn't lit well. I added a softbox to the opposite side and it is lit much better now. Thank you so much for your knowledge and advice!

Derrel or derelict as my autocorrect tried to put, those settings you gave gave me a medium grey background just like you said. Thanks so much! It would be better with white seamless but the white comforter is doing the job. The only thing is that now my subject isn't lit well. I added a softbox to the opposite side and it is lit much better now. Thank you so much for your knowledge and advice!
Oh I think your auto correct got it right the first time. :biggrin-new:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back