Lighting for wedding?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok guys, as you know from my numerous posts, I am buying a D50 soon. I have a wedding to shoot in May, and It's going to be on the beach.

So, for lighting I wanted to get your guys opinion. I cannot spend probably more than 100 on a flash, so dont go crazy on me, but I really dont want to shoot with just available/on camera flash.

I've seen, but have no idea where to find one for the D50, pro-flashses that actually fit around the lens and have three strobe lights on them, for even lighting... where do I find one of these?

Any suggestiuons???

I've seen, but have no idea where to find one for the D50, pro-flashses that actually fit around the lens and have three strobe lights on them, for even lighting... where do I find one of these?
You are probably thinking of a beauty ring, normally used in fashion type shots...and you won't find one for $100.

As Matt said, if you are on the beach and the sun is shining, then you have a very powerful light source...you just have to use a reflector to harness that light.

There are plenty of hot-shoe flash units that would work with your camera. The best ones are probably the Nikon models but they are not cheap, not the powerful ones anyway...SB600 & SB800.

If you don't mind spending $5 on a calculator, just get one of the older flashes and a $15 slave attachment. you can set the flash off the camera and use the calc to figure the guide number to set the flash. You'll need a flash that's manually adjustable- an old sb will do fine and will work -sort of- on your camera when you want it to (auto mode). A vivatar 283 or 285 would be ok. Just remember to adjust your flash for subject to FLASH, not to camera (unless your are going to be 20 feet or more away) mike

If you don't mind spending $5 on a calculator, just get one of the older flashes and a $15 slave attachment. you can set the flash off the camera and use the calc to figure the guide number to set the flash. You'll need a flash that's manually adjustable- an old sb will do fine and will work -sort of- on your camera when you want it to (auto mode). A vivatar 283 or 285 would be ok. Just remember to adjust your flash for subject to FLASH, not to camera (unless your are going to be 20 feet or more away) mike

Wow I would need a lot more explanation than that. I love homebrew solutions, but that sounds complicated!!! ;)

LOL There is a thing you can attach to your flashe's shoe that will trigger it when another flash goes off. The only real drawback is if there are other people taking flash shots too. However there are also adapters for a pc jack and you really need to look here to get the whole story... http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html
Good luck with it. mike

Most reactions

Back