Lighting help

Naturallyred

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a photo I did of one of my models in my studio. I have a small studio(in my house) I'm trying to learn lighting techniques that involve shadow and depth to the model instead of completely lit up. What do you think of this photo and how is the lighting? I was skeptical. I'm a noob at lighting. All self taught and have been heavily addicted to photography for about a year now. Any criticism would be wonderful...even if it's not about the lighting. Thanks!

381242119_176b199b3c.jpg

My eye goes right to her chest and wants to stay there.

good shot if this is a promo for a tattoo shop (it's good work!)

but, I don't think the background should be lit better than the model's face. I'm new at photography, but her face seems a little dark for me.

The shadow of the corner above her head is also distracting.

shadow at left eye, shadow at top of head and glare on breasts...
Lose the tatoo, If you can

What equipment are you using? The lighting is a little flat. It almost looks like window light, which would be a tad boring for this theme. Since you say you are going for more shadow and depth, you need to have a larger ratio from key to fill. The model also seems like she was cutout and placed against this background. The background has a big fold right behind the model as well. I would stay away from replacing the background (excuse me if this is not what you did). I can't give any advice unless I know what you have available.

It seems like you are looking for "glamour lighting".
To do so, take ONE flash to one side or another within hand distance of the subject. Lower the flash on your camera, or turn it off completely. That should get you what you are looking for (or what I think you are looking for)

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

The tattoo is real so I can't remove it ..if I removed it in photoshop she would kill me! lol

The camera I use is a canon 350D. The lighting I used I now realize wasn't putting off enough light(350 watts total between the 3 of the strobes) since then I got a much better light setup. 1800 WATT CONTINUOUS 3 LIGHT KIT, BOOM+SOFTBOX BRITEK brand. Hopefully this set up will be helpful and do what I need it to do.

The background is real(walmart special;) ) It has a fold in it above her head because I clipped the back light on it above and behind her and didn't notice it at the time. Oops!

I will do some shoot's soon and post for more feedback.

Most reactions

Back