Lighting in the new MAXIM

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last edited:
Looks like a snooted strobe coming in from top right against an orange/peach seamless to me.

Of course, it could easily have been shopped.

Either way, it's not all that amazing to me, tbh.

more than anything, it looks like direct flash.

Maybe a ringlight above the camera, but it doesn't really look like it.

If we could see it bigger, we could easily tell just from the catchlights.

one thing is for certain though, no snoots were used for the key light, it would be stark obvious.

Judging by the shadow from the arm top left through the letter M, and the shadows on the chin and other body parts I'd say Direct flash with a liberal touch of photoshop.

and dang it i need to learn more about lighting techniques, i can only recognize what i've used for the most part. . . and with catchlights i can only give a rough guesstimate.

I would have thought direct flash then a bad photoshop job using the burn tool (shaddows are far too dark)

What are you talking about? I don't see a background. I just see 2 girls. Is this a trick?

more than anything, it looks like direct flash.

Maybe a ringlight above the camera, but it doesn't really look like it.

If we could see it bigger, we could easily tell just from the catchlights.

one thing is for certain though, no snoots were used for the key light, it would be stark obvious.
Not talking about the light on the models, only how the background it lit. Note the soft-edged hot spot, centered with a tail leading upper right.

I'm going with Photoshop. Probably shot on a blue/green screen and then the background was done in post.

a painted wall would reflect ringlight in a similar way wouldn't it? my ringlight does at least.

a painted wall would reflect ringlight in a similar way wouldn't it? my ringlight does at least.
Well, we're all just speculating here, but wouldn't a ring light affect it more evenly? Why would the top right be much brighter than the other three corners from a ring light use? Isn't the whole point of a ring light to have even lighting?

UPDATED OP with larger picture

Looks like a snooted strobe coming in from top right against an orange/peach seamless to me.

Of course, it could easily have been shopped.

Either way, it's not all that amazing to me, tbh.

Agreed, looks like the snooted strobe positioned directly above the subject on camera right, pointed down (like a streetlamp) aimed right behind the subjects head.

That and a combination of direct flash.

I'm going with Photoshop. Probably shot on a blue/green screen and then the background was done in post.

Almost wanted to agree, but I opened the cover and noticed that alot of the shots inside the cover (using the same background) are lit differently.

Well, we're all just speculating here, but wouldn't a ring light affect it more evenly? Why would the top right be much brighter than the other three corners from a ring light use? Isn't the whole point of a ring light to have even lighting?

Agreed. And create a soft halo around the subject.. The shadows don't indicate ring light.. i could be wrong though. Esp. how ring light is very popular in this industry.

My vote is most certainly going for ring light and a fairly reflective wall, or a beauty dish that is slightly above and slightly left of the camera. The girl on the left is 'hotter' in both ways, than the girl on the right, and granted the girl on the left is asian, so the darker skin tone could just be reflecting less. Plus the shadows seem to have a slight downward cast to them, like the light is slightly above the camera. But hte way that all of their body parts fade to shadow right at the edges is very charateristic of ring light. The light source seems pretty soft if you look at their eatures, but the harsh shadows on the wall are just cause by how close to the wall they are. Interesting peicture, hard to disect. I'dlove to see a lighting diagram of how it was done.

it takes some dedicated photographers to look past these ladies and wonder how they did the lighting. :drool:

Most reactions

Back