Lighting issue... help?

D750 Flicker information
Flicker_D750_p380.jpg

D500 Flicker information
Flicker_D500_p234.jpg

From what I've read the Flicker on the D5 is similar to the D750's capabilities. The D500 is the only one with it more automatic where the camera will identify if Flicker is present and then compensate for it if needed. You can keep the option turned on all the time.

OK, so the 'older' tech is only for Live view/video capture.

A D500 has a Flicker feature to compensate for this.
Could always buy a new camera :)

I didn't know it did that! That's cool. No wonder it's such a great sports photo.
The problem is with sports, if you have it turned on it affects the FPS and when the camera takes a shot. So it's recommended for getting the shot especially if you use 10fps, to have it turned off. There's a short thread about it on TPF somewhere here that I think I started about the Flicker.

Looks like I learned something myself today. I haven't used my K3ii under old style fluorescent lights, so it hasn't been an issue. After the above comments I went back to my camera manual and surprise, it has flicker control also. Comes from the factory set to the default of 50 Hz, but is switchable to 60 Hz.

The problem is with sports, if you have it turned on it affects the FPS and when the camera takes a shot. So it's recommended for getting the shot especially if you use 10fps, to have it turned off. There's a short thread about it on TPF somewhere here that I think I started about the Flicker.

While the manual reports that this could be a problem, I've not yet experienced it. Ive been shooting indoor sports in buildings with known cycling lights, at 10 fps, and not lost frame rate or experienced any hesitation.

I suspect that that slower shutter speeds you could run into it, but at 1/500+ it hasnt slowed my camera down at all.

If you think about it, you're shooting ten frames per second. The light cycles 60 times per second. That means that it just had to choose the brightest 10/60 cycles, which, in my experience, hasn't slowed my frame rate at all.

While the manual reports that this could be a problem, I've not yet experienced it. Ive been shooting indoor sports in buildings with known cycling lights, at 10 fps, and not lost frame rate or experienced any hesitation.

I suspect that that slower shutter speeds you could run into it, but at 1/500+ it hasnt slowed my camera down at all.

If you think about it, you're shooting ten frames per second. The light cycles 60 times per second. That means that it just had to choose the brightest 10/60 cycles, which, in my experience, hasn't slowed my frame rate at all.
I haven't had the problem with my D500. Actually my D500 can't handle the super low light / bad lighting of the indoor soccer I've been doing. So I can only use the D600 / D750.

But another TPFer brought this issue up of when they did sports .. I'll search for the thread.

Edit: @MSnowy mentions it
Nikon D500 Flicker mode (alternate current lighting)

I haven't had the problem with my D500. Actually my D500 can't handle the super low light / bad lighting of the indoor soccer I've been doing. So I can only use the D600 / D750.

But another TPFer brought this issue up of when they did sports .. I'll search for the thread.

You're having problems with the D500 in low light? Weird. What iso are you working at?

I compared mine to a friends d610 and thought that my d500 was at least a stop better.

Msnowy just mentions that it could be an issue. I inquired if he's actually experienced it.

I read the warning that it could slow the shutter in my manual, but that hasn't been my experience as of yet.

You're having problems with the D500 in low light? Weird. What iso are you working at?

I compared mine to a friends d610 and thought that my d500 was at least a stop better.

Msnowy just mentions that it could be an issue. I inquired if he's actually experienced it.

I read the warning that it could slow the shutter in my manual, but that hasn't been my experience as of yet.
The Indoor soccer place has *bad* lighting too. Awful.
you can see the lighting setup here when I was testing a sport camera on the lens foot ==>

read about it here but with "normal" indoor lighting it's fine as I shot a basketball game and it had no issues. Just this particular type of lighting ==> D500 vs D750 Indoor Soccer Shootout

Ah, well now I know to check out that flicker reduction setting! Thanks so much, guys! Truly powerful technology.

Most reactions

Back