Lighting/monolight recommendations please

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I've probably used up my allotment of questions for the week, but I was hoping someone could give me some ideas on lighting gear for my D500 and 24-70mm.

I plan to do occasional product photography and portraiture. I'd like to be able to set it up outdoors too. I don't want to buy China junk only to find out it doesn't do what I want later or doesn't last.

I have a budget of maybe $1500 to $2000 to spend. I'm pretty sure I want the Manfrotto 1004BAC light stands. I've also purchased 36x36 light tent for the product shots.

What's the difference between a softbox and an umbrella and why would I choose one over the other?

Is it unreasonable to think I can do both functions using one lighting set? Is it unreasonable to think I could find a good set of battery powered lights that would also work well for product photography?

Can you recommend some brands I should consider? I've done some research on strobist and other sites, but I don't really see any of the products they recommend in the places I shop.

What are the minimum standards I should consider? How much light do I really need for indoor product photography? I think I'd like at least the following:
- HHS capability
- wifi trigger
- 300-400WS
- Fast recharge?
- Bowens softbox mount
- Flash duration? (1/2000 to 1/800s?)

I was thinking about two of one of the following:
- Amazon.com : Neewer® 400W 5600K Bowens Mount Photo Studio Strobe Flash Light Monolight with Lamp Head for Studio, Location and Portrait Photography (SK400) : Camera & Photo
- Amazon.com : Godox QS Series QS600 600W Strobe Flash Modeling Light for Studio Photography (100V-120V) + CEARI MicroFiber Clean Cloth : Camera & Photo
- Amazon.com : Godox AD200 200Ws 2.4G TTL Flash Strobe 1/8000 HSS Cordless Monolight with 2900mAh Lithimu Battery and Bare Bulb/Speedlite Fresnel Flash Head to Cover 500 Full Power Shots and Recycle In 0.01-2.1 Sec : Camera & Photo

I also like this set, but I wouldn't be able to use it outside.
- Impact VC-500WLN 3-500Ws Digital Monolight VC-500WL3KN B&H Photo

Lightbox recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For portrait work both indoor and outdoor, I think you would be best served with something like the Interfit S1 or the Flashpoint XPLOR. Both lights have their own power, so having cords or electricity isn't an issue. You should be able to do product photography with either, but you may find yourself needing additional lights as well.

Both of these should be just fine with the list that you have and keep in mind that the flashpoint and the godox are the same things just different branding.

For portraits, I think you may want to consider the softbox over the umbrella but the umbrella's are reasonably inexpensive and can be added later. I personally prefer my octabox over both of those but that is a personal opinion.

I have 2- Flashpoint 1220M's from Adorama. I bought the set that comes with Monolight, stand and battery pack. Also have 2 spare batteries to put in the battery packs. Now I normally take speedlights with me for outside shots. But I have used the Flashpoints a couple times when I knew I was not going to be moving around a lot and not have to haul to eternity. I have had them less than a year. So can't say anything for longevity. These are 600 w/s lights and I have never used them at full power. I also have 3 ac only 150ws Chinese / ebay lights I bought like 15 years ago. Seldom use, but so far they all still work. They are inside only lights.

For most of my outside lighting I use speedlights. I bought a box 10ea 7' stands. Made in china stands off ebay. Also a dozen adjustable flash brackets. I also have some 3' stands, and some shorter stands as well. Also I have a couple 3 head flash brackets when I need more light than a single flash produces. For the most part I just put 2 flashes on them. My wife made me about 20 zip up bags for sand bags (sand is in ziplock, inside the zip up bags). As the stands with speedlights and umbrellas needs weight to keep from falling over even in light wind.

For triggers I have a dozen Cactus V4's (newer versions sold now). Their advertised range is 100', I have used mine up to about 200' with no issues. At about 250' they start to miss. Right now I only have 1 softbox. I have a large selection of different sized umbrellas, white, silver, black / white.

Thank you all for your help. Just ordered two Flashpoint XPLOR 600 HSS lights, two Glow ParaPop 38" softboxes and two Manfrotto 1004BAC stands.

This is totally a new realm for me. I'm pretty stoked and hope I can make it all work :)

I also hope you guys will continue to answer my questions, this time about how to use it all :)

this time about how to use it all :)

A word of advise from someone who just started using lights earlier this year. Spend a few more bucks on a decent flash meter. It will make your life so much easier, especially when using multiple lights, and or reflectors. I have a Seconic L308 that's not expensive but it gets the job done.

this time about how to use it all :)

A word of advise from someone who just started using lights earlier this year. Spend a few more bucks on a decent flash meter. It will make your life so much easier, especially when using multiple lights, and or reflectors. I have a Seconic L308 that's not expensive but it gets the job done.
I just ordered that too! Got the "new" revision. I was also thinking I could use that as well.

Now I just have to figure out how to use it with my D500 :)

I have a Sekonic L-508 that I have had for years. It's been a very good meter. Would not hesitate to buy from them again. Since I sold my MF gear. And the LF has not been out in 10 years. It's been relegated to flash duty. But it does well at that to. Think I made a good choice way back when.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back