Lighting My Photography!

Murray Frost

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In my 6 years of photography, the biggest question I get is "how do I get that well light look"?

Well, first, have some good glass. I know, may people say that use what you have and they are right. Don't let your equipment hinder your creative process, but there needs to be a growing point at which you upgrade and start progressing. Lenses are important and SO worth the money!

I use the 5DmkIII, but a few days ago I tried some new things with my old Canon T3i. I garbed a sigma 35mm 1.2 from a friends bag and slapped it on my old entry level DSLR.

To be honest, I was blown away. I know that it would be a significant difference, but I was more than mind blown. I actually went and shot a wedding like this!!!!!!!! Did I regret it? NOPE! It pushed me creatively to find the best lighting conditions (not that I even had to). While indoors, I had to constantly be aware of how dark the image was. I needed to make sure the aperture wasn't too low other wise the shallow depth of field would be hard to work with when doing portraits with multiple people at once.

Even if you have an entry level DSLR, get some good glass and you can utilize the light far more effectively.

Let me know what you guys think and how did you get around having entry level equipment. How did the challenge of equipment push you creatively? Also, this is my first post in this forum, so... yeah... Lighthouse.jpg

Nice photo! What do you consider an entry level DSLR? Any crop sensor, or just the cheapest ones? I wonder if a 80d would be considered an entry level camera. And about crop sensor, is there any model (both Canon and Nikon) that works well on low light situations and could be used professionally? Thanks.

Thanks! I would say yes to cropped sensor, but I think price also plays a part in it. the cheaper the camera, the less it can do and so on. The 80D is probably in between. I have never used it, but it seems good. To be honest, I don't know of any cameras with crop sensor that are exceptional in low light. Lenses would help that, but it definitely won't be Sony A7s good. I'm sure that even the Canon T5i with a good lens would be quite killer. Hope this helped.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back