Lighting practice? c&c

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TylerF, Apr 24, 2010.

1. TylerF

TylerF TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Got a little bored and figured I would try learning a little with my new umbrella and reflector. off camera flash is a whole new world! haha. I don't have anyone to practice on but oh well lol. C&C always appreciated. ignore the composition lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TylerF

TylerF TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    nobody?

3. D-B-J

D-B-J Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I like it, except for the bar holding the helmet. It would probably be really easy to clone-stamp that out. The first one has too much room above the subject, and i wish that the strap wasnt cut off. The second one is better one framing, but again the strap is cut off.

I also feel like there is too great of a shadow on the left side of the first one. How were the lights setup?

4. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    if you going for split lighting, then you got it.

5. TylerF

TylerF TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i dont really know what i was going for lol. just trying to get some sort of nice lighting

6. SwissJ

SwissJ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the 1st better, cause the lighting is more diffused. The 2nd looks a bit too specular.

7. FattyMcJ

FattyMcJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think you're not getting a lot of tips/comments because of the subject. It's relatively spherical, thus the different (& simplistic) lighting setups are harder to comment on/notice.

Use something with contours, much like a face would have. Say, a Halloween mask, a large toy that a sibling has, or just something close to a face. (I say close to a face because that seems to be what you're going for in your last few posts, portraits.) The many contours in a mask (face) will accentuate the shadows and make positioning more clear to you as you experiment.

As for these shots:

1) You lost detail in the chin strap hanging & the sticker (which is the most interesting part of the helmet). However, I like the way it's diffused so as not to appear as a glare on the helmet.

2) The fill light is too low, you're illuminating the inside of the helmet and not enough of the left side (sticker). Same lights, different angles, would make this shot better IMO.

Hope that helps, keep posting! I enjoy seeing others progress!