lighting q

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone-

This is my first posting. I found this awesome board tonight, and am SO excited about it! :wink:

My question is this: I have Hensel lights, which I've been recently told are horrible lights. Is this true?

Also, for my past 2 photo shoots, I have blown out the person's face. And when I've corrected the lighting, (and didn't blow out the person's facial features), the person's skin didn't look good. You could actually see the makeup. The image looked grainy and there was no smoothness at all.

What am I doing wrong?!?!?

FYI: I am shooting with a Nikon D70, and am using it on Manual. ISO was 200.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Jennifer

First, try using a lower ISO if possible. Second, make sure you are using the proper white balance, if you don't, the image could come out too blue or not warm enough, and it might make the makeup visible (going out on a limb there).
Also, if you're using a tripod, try using a slower shutter speed so that it looks softer. And please tell me you didn't use the flash (because that would definitely be the source of your bad-looking skin).
If you can't smooth out the skin, you could always PS it so it looks nice and smooth.

My question is this: I have Hensel lights, which I've been recently told are horrible lights. Is this true?
No, it's not. There' certainly not horrible. WHat you need to address is how many lights you have, the total power available to you, how it's distributed and whether you're using soft boxes or umbrellas or other devices to modify the character of the light.
Also, for my past 2 photo shoots, I have blown out the person's face.
Are you using a light meter and if not, how do you determines your shooting aperture?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back