Lighting Questions

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by rub, Oct 17, 2008.

1. rub

rub TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have been doing a fair bit of research lately while saving for some lighting, but I am still a bit lost. Now that I have some funds (approx. $350) I would like to get a bit of feedback on what I should purchase, as I have no experience in this area. I do mainly outdoor portrait photography, but I would like to do some studio work in the future.

The Alienbee set up is a bit more than I have to spend, and I am thinking I may want two stands/umbrellas.

I have looked into countless kits, but they either seem too cheap, or are too expensive.

Would I be best to buy 2 less expensive stands & umbrellas, one B800 and use my sb800 off camera? If so, what is a good size umbrella? Would I want both shoot through, reflective? And what other adaptors/sync cords would I need? I just dont want to buy everything, then realize I forgot something. I know this option would put me over budget....

Or can anyone recommend another good lighting brand that I can look into?

I have:
    Nikon D80
    SB800
    Nikkor 35-70mm f2.8
    Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.4
    Sigma 10-20mm
    Reflectors

Thanks so much.

2. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A good set of strobes. They use Elinchrom mods, which are more expensvie than bees and they're only 200w/s, but a good start. They have a 400w/s kit for about $550, IIRC.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CF0502K1/

3. bigalbest

bigalbest TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think going with one light is a good idea. Maybe go with a softbox instead of an umbrella, might be easier to use. And don't kid yourself, lights are just as much of an investment as lenses. Try going to strobist lighting 101, and learning a bit more about light before you make your decision.

4. rub

rub TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008