lighting..settings

hollisterguyo7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well ive only used my external flash for a couple shoots so far. I generally shoot in manual an the flash on ttl. Is there any other mode you guys use more for when your using the flash. If i happen to be walking around an the lighting keeps changing darker lighter here an there. It starts to bug me having to keep changing settings. anything you guys use that works better?

I shoot manual/manual and it works well for me but I rarely have the speedlight on the hot shoe, and have done it a lot, so experience counts for something too.

I shoot and pray, I wish I knew what I was doing but quite honestly - I haven't much of a clue.

Well ive only used my external flash for a couple shoots so far. I generally shoot in manual an the flash on ttl. Is there any other mode you guys use more for when your using the flash. If i happen to be walking around an the lighting keeps changing darker lighter here an there. It starts to bug me having to keep changing settings. anything you guys use that works better?

Do you know about bounce flash for external flash units?

yes i do. a lot of people were telling me a lot people generally use ttl on the flash. but the other day i was down in downtown an some back alleys an everywhere i went the lighting was different an just got tired of changing the settetings lol i could just be lazy i just like shooting in manual though i feel as if the picture comes out better i guess. but havent tried using portrait or anything with the external flash yet

I dont ever use off camera lighting for walk around/candids. I actually dont even use M mode, usually just aperture priority.

I'm not a big fan of ttl b/c its less consistent, at least in my scenarios and eats more juice. I either shoot at manual or in AA mode (which is more consistent).
I find that ttl is perfect on a nice sunny day in shade, anywhere else its just full of weird things, but thats me.
Another thing you should keep in mind is how you meter the scene. I for example center meter. I find that matrix (don't remember what it is called on Canon) isn't always accurate while spot is too specific at least during wedding reception; therefore center weight does decent job for me. When I shoot manual, then I guestimate needed power output and readjust as needed.

Most reactions

Back