Lighting setup for wedding reception photography - Two soft boxes

k.udhay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Recenty I posted that I am about to do a wedding photography in September (Lighting tips needed to get a similar image).

Since this is my first time, I thought I would do a rehearsal of the lighting.

My task will be handling two types of photography:

1. Traditional poses - Taking pictures of couple (who stand in the stage for a while) with their different relatives and friends.
2. Candid poses

The hall does not have enough lighting. Hence I have planned to setup two softboxes (25" x 25"cm).

Attached are the light setup and results. I kept three people at huge space apart to cover the length of actual group size I can expect. IMO, the shadows are not too bad. Workable at least for traditional shoot.

Here come my questions:
1. Pl. share your opinion on my setup - Would also request to note that Indian weddings are far different from western weddings in many ways.

2. Would the same lighting work for candid as well? I am going to use Canon 5D mark iii. I have read it is good at low light operation but never used it myself.

3. I see soft shadows. Though this will go off when I have a group of people standing next to each other, is there a way I completely eliminate it?

P.s.
1. The result picture attached has a slightly different lighting - Tried to get the flash at level with the shoulders of the people.

2. Sorry that the result picture is crude. Since the hall caretaker was not allowing to occupy for long, had to take the shot with available people in a hurry.

Attachments:

1. Light setup:
https://i.imgur.com/wWV9748.jpg

2. Result picture:
https://i.imgur.com/9BIhKvy.jpg

That is the wrong way to light a group; you have "competing shadows"....some on left side of person, others on right. Looks poor. Need to move ONE,m main light to the LEFT side of the camera. Light from Left People Like. Set flash #2, if you must, right next to the camera, aimed straight ahead.

Thanks a ton, Derrel. Your advices keep pushing me to explore things unconventionally.

Thanks a ton, Derrel. Your advices keep pushing me to explore things unconventionally.
Actually, that's pretty conventional. Off-axis key, on-axis fill. Don't forget to get your subjects a little closer together.

Ha ha... But I was taking lighting to be a very straight forward subject... I thought equally opposite light sources will cancel out the shadows.

thephotoforum is helping me to get rid of fundamental mistakes many a times.

Most reactions

Back