Lighting suggestions PLEASE!

cmn0406

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have recently started my own studio out of my home and have done 20 or more sessions. While the pictures are good, I know they could be better. I need help or suggestions with lighting. Right now I have two continuous lights with umbrella attachments on them that I bought when I first started the studio, but now I hardly use them. I tend to shoot more from natural light now (well, there are florescents in the room). The lights I think give off too many hot spots no matter how I angle them or adjust them (believe me - I have tried a million and one setups with them). I would either like some suggestions - or any of you know of any good books on lighting - I would love that too. I mostly shoot babies, kids, and families. Would softboxes be better to give a softer all around light. I dont want anything too complex of a setup as the studio room right now is only about 14X15 so I dont have a lot of extra room.

Please honest opinions and suggestions as I need to get this fixed. Thanks!

Can you show us your set up and some sample images?

If you are getting hot spots, then maybe you light needs to be softer. To make the light softer, you need to enlarge the source in relation to the subject.

Yes, give me about an hour - need to finish up a few other things first and get to my other computer to upload the pics. Please check back. Thanks!

Here are the pics.

This is my typical setup:

20070906-110.JPG.jpg

A few Examples:

20070818-18.JPG.jpg

20070820-5.JPG.jpg

20070905-29_1.JPG.jpg

Thanks for the link to the article. I saved it so I can read it after while.

Your images look pretty good to me.

You could soften the light by moving the umbrellas in closer to the subjects. With continuous lights, that may get a little warm though.

Another way to combat hot spots on people would be to use power (makeup) on them.

Thanks - I appreciate the comments. I may try to move them in closer - the room stays pretty cool anyway cause it is in a basement.

In the Zeltsman book, there is a chair you can build for infants and toddlers that would help you. It helps so that you don't have to shoot down at them.

Other than the top of the head shot, looks like you are on your way.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to find that chair - sounds great.

For standard portraits they look pretty good to me. I think what makes them lack a certain pop is that the subjects seem to blend in with the background.

I found that chair and I am going to get one built.

Yeah, I agree with them blending into that particular background. Any suggestions for making them stand out from it?

Most reactions

Back